HOW TO MAKE THINAI ARISI NELLIKAI SADAM?
THINAI ARISI NELLIKAI SADAM- INDIAN GOOSEBERRY RICE USING FOXTAIL MILLET
Thinai nellikai sadam is a millet based dish made using the Indian gooseberry aka Amla. We were never big on millet till a year ago. But suddenly, we started enjoying millet and i have been experimenting with various ways to incorporate millet in our diet.
I have found that foxtail millet (thinai in Tamil) has been the most challenging so far. No matter how hard you try, you can never easily fall in love with this particular millet. So i choose recipes where we can mask the taste of this foxtail millet easily.
This thinai nellikai sadam happened for the very same reason. The flavors come together beautifully in this dish. The nuttiness of the millet is rounded off well by the tang of the lemons and the astringent flavors of the Amla.
Recipe for Thinai Nellikai Sadam
Thinai Arisi Nellikai Sadam Recipe- Foxtail Millet Gooseberry Rice
- Foxtail millet ½ c
- Amla 3 medium grated
- Peanuts 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Green chili 3 to 4 slit lengthwise
- Hing a small pinch
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Cook the millet with 3 cups of water and salt in a wide pan till done.
- Once done, drain thoroughly and spread on a plate.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add the peanuts and fry till golden. Drain on a kitchen towel.
- Add mustard seeds and once they pop, add the green chilies, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add turmeric and hing next and turn down the flame.
- Now add grated gooseberry and mix well.
- Add salt and mix.
- Add the cooked millet to this and mix thoroughly.
- Switch off flame and add lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Serve immediately.
Stepwise Pictorial For Thinai Nellikai Sadam
Add millet, salt and 3 cups of water to a wide pan. Cook till done and drain. Spread on a plate and allow to cool. Heat oil in a pan. Add the peanuts and roast till golden. Drain.
Now, pop the mustard seeds and add urad dal, green chilies, curry leaves, hing and turmeric powder. Turn the flame down and add grated amla. Mix well. Add salt. Mix again. Next add the peanuts and mix well
Once done, add the cooked millet and mix well. Switch off flame and add lemon juice and mix gently.
Thinai Nellikai Sadam is now done and ready to be served.