How To Make A Savory Millet Parfait?
SAVORY MILLET PARFAIT- A SIMPLE & HEALTHY MILLET BASED BREAKFAST IN A JAR.
This savory millet parfait jar is inspired by Kambu Koozh, an everyday breakfast ritual in so many households across Tamil Nadu. Kambu koozh is basically a savory porridge made with pearl millet flour and yogurt. This is then served with an assortment of trimmings that include sun dried chilies, shallots and fryums.
While i love kambu koozh, i m always looking for newer ways to incorporate our traditional foods in tune with the modern ways of eating. This savory millet parfait in a jar is an attempt to do just that. I bought pearl millet flakes a while ago. I tried making upma with it but i did not like it. It turned soggy and was so not my kind of upma.
I made a sweet parfait using these millet flakes and simply loved it. But a sweet breakfast is not my cup of tea either. And then, i was on the phone with my mom and she kept telling how kambankoozh stalls had cropped up everywhere. That was the point when i decided to make this savory millet parfait in a jar. The ingredients are very simple. And it takes less than 15 mins to put together.
Recipe For Savory Millet Parfait In A Jar
Savory Millet Parfait In A Jar
- Pearl millet flakes 1 cup
- Tangy yogurt 1/2 cup
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Grated carrrot 3 tbsp
- Cucumber 10 slices
- Shallots 4 to 5 sliced thinly
- Coriander leaves 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Oil 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Green chili 2 chopped
- Sundakai vathal 1 tbsp
- Oil to fry the vathal
- In a bowl, mix together the millet flakes, yogurt and salt.
- Add this to the bottom of the jar.
- Add the veggies on top of this as the next layer.
- Heat 1 -2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add the vathal and fry till golden and crisp.
- Add this to the jar as the next layer
- Now, in the same pan, heat a tsp of oil.
- Pop the mustard seeds, urad dal and green chilies.
- Add this tempering to the jar.
- Dig in.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.