BOMBAY SANDWICH- HEARTY DESI-STYLE SANDWICHES WITH GREEN CHUTNEY &VEGGIES.
The Bombay sandwich is the most popular sandwich till date among youngsters across India. The concept of a sandwich was limited to the bombay style green chutney sandwich until a few years ago when cafes across the country came up with gourmet options like sweet corn spinach sandwiches and paneer sandwiches.
So, the 80s folks and the 90s folks still love our bombay sandwich. In spite of the fact that making this sandwich is hideously easy, getting it exactly the way the street vendor makes it is difficult. There is really something about eating a sandwich with green chutney, veggies and grated cheese on top, overlooking the road or beach or whatever. Maybe it is the breeze or the noisy road or the make shift cart that makes the sandwich extra delicious.
Like i told you all, i had insane food cravings when i was pregnant. And i discovered the true essence behind making a good bombay sandwich from the same vendor who taught me that no bitter utterly delicious sandwich chutney recipe.
You will need some very good green chutney to put this sandwich together and you can find just the right recipe here –sandwich chutney recipe. I usually make a large batch of this chutney during the weekends and store it in the fridge which certainly makes my mornings less crazier. Once you have your chutney ready, you are all set.
Bombay Sandwich Recipe
- White bread slices 6
- Potato 1 small boiled peeled and sliced thinly
- Beetroot 1 small peeled boiled and sliced thinly
- Cucumber 1 peeled and sliced thinly
- Tomato 1 small sliced thinly
- Chaat masala to sprinkle
- Sandwich chutney ¼ c refer post for the whole recipe
- Softened butter at room temperature 1 tbsp
- Spread butter evenly over a slice of bread.
- Now apply some green chutney over the buttered slice.
- Place cucumber slices and tomato slices over this.
- Cover with another slice of bread.
- Spread butter over this.
- Apply more green chutney over this slice of bread.
- Place a few slices of beet and potato .
- Cover with another slice of bread
- Assemble the next sandwich in the same way with the remaining bread slices and veggies.
- Cut each sandwich into two.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on top.
- Serve immediately.