Green chutney for sandwich is an easy spread. We even call this the Bombay Sandwich chutney. Made with fresh coriander leaves and mint, this is what makes the typical desi Bombay sandwich uniquely delicious
If you have lived in India, especially Bombay ( Mumbai), you will know why this sandwich is to die for. Just a few bread slices ( the concept of whole wheat bread is still new in India and is on the rise), some veggies and a slather of this delicious sandwich chutney will leave you longing for more even as you sit down to your next meal.
Bombay sandwiches are a thing with foodies across India and many try to recreate the magic at home. And also fail. Why? Because the secret to making the perfect Bombay Green Chutney Sandwich lies in the chutney.
The street-style Bombay Sandwich uses a slightly different combination of ingredients. Ever wondered why the chutney does not become a dull green or is thicker than the regular chaat chutney? Well, let me tell you why.
Other than the regular suspects like coriander leaves and mint leaves, this Bombay sandwich chutney uses blanched spinach leaves. This gives the chutney body, a beautiful green color and also the nutrition from spinach.
Lemon juice helps prevent the chutney from changing color. So i generally add some to almost any mint-based chutney that I make.
Bread slice– We will be adding a slice of bread to our chutney to thicken it. This is what makes it easily spreadable. I will not recommend adding coconut or roasted gram dal for this sandwich chutney. Both these ingredients change the taste of the chutney and the sandwich too.
Shelf life and storage
I have found that this chutney keeps well when stored in a clean sterilized glass jar. This lasts in the fridge for 3 days. Use only a clean dry spoon every time you use the chutney.
Other ways to use this chutney
This fresh and flavorful spread is just not limited to sandwiches alone. You can always use them in chaats too. Or you can use them as a topping on crackers or as a dip with Pita chips.
- Use fresh mint , coriander and spinach leaves for the brightest and freshest looking green chutney.
- If you do not have lemon juice, you can use 1 tablespoon yogurt or 1 teaspoon white vinegar as a substitute.
- Almost all street vendors use white bread in the chutney. If you are not comfortable using white bread, you can always use whole wheat bread. The color of the chutney will be slightly different in this case.
Blanching the spinach
Boil 3 cups of water. Add the spinach leaves to this, switch off the flame and let it stand for 1 min. After a min, drain all the hot water and wash the spinach under cold water.
In a blender jar, combine the blanched spinach, coriander leaves, mint leaves, cumin seeds, green chili, ½ teaspoon chaat masala, lemon juice, black salt, sugar and salt. Blend to a coarse paste. Trim the crust of the bread slice. Chop it roughly and add it to the blender.
Now, add ¼ c water and blend to a smooth paste.
Our Green chutney for sandwiches is ready. Store in a clean, sterilized air-tight glass container in the fridge.
Green chutney for sandwich
For blanching spinach
- 100 g Spinach leaves
- 3 c Water
- 25 g Mint leaves
- 75 g Coriander leaves
- 1 slice Bread crust removed
- ½ teaspoon Chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Green chili
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Black salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Heat 3 c water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add spinach leaves to the boiling water, switch off flame and cover the pot.
- Let this sit for 1 min.
- After a min, drain the spinach completely and wash it under cold water.
- In a blender jar, combine the blanched spinach, coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chili, ½ teaspoon chaat masala, cumin seeds, lemon juice, black salt, sugar and salt.
- Blend to a coarse paste.
- Trim the crust of the bread slice. Chop it roughly and add it to the blender.
- Now, add ¼ c water and blend to a smooth paste
- Transfer to a clean air tight container.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.