Besan Bhindi or Besan Wali Bhindi is a Rajasthani style okra curry. This is a dry okra curry that is packed with the flavors of Indian ground spices. You can serve this crispy bhindi fry with Besan as an appetiser or as a part of the main course with a Paneer sabzi and other vegetables.
This crispy fry is the new way to enjoy okra in our house. We love okra at the Praveen’s. And if it is a dry curry that has okra, we are all starry eyed. The little miss loves raw okra, by the way. And she struggles calling it okra or vendakka and ends up christening it as beans. OK. I guess that is enough trivia.
Now the secret to making the perfect besan bhindi lies in roasting the besan to a very light brown shade on a low flame. If you do not roast the besan well, then the raw smell of besan will dominate your curry and you ll end up hating bhindi besan. Also, make sure you don’t slice the okra too thin or you ll have a slimy curry. Yes, one thing to get non slimy okra is to not slice it too thinly.
Besan Bhindi Recipe- Besanwali Bhindi
- 2 tablespoon Besan chickpea flour/ kadala maavu 1.5 tablespoon
- 1.5 tablespoon Oil 1.5 tablespoon
- 250 g thinly sliced Bhindi okra/ Lady's fingers 250 g sliced thinly
- ¾ cup finely chopped Onion
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Aamchur powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Hing a small pinch
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Heat a pan and dry roast besan until light brown and fragrant. Do this on a low flame to avoid burning.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan .
- Add cumin seeds and once they crackle, add hing and garlic.
- Fry till light brown.
- Now, add chopped onions and fry till pink.
- Add all spice powders except the aamchur powder next and mix well.
- Cook on medium flame for 30 secs.
- Add okra next and mix well.
- Cook till all slime disappears and okra becomes brown around the edges.
- Add salt at this stage and mix well.
- Cook for a min.
- Sprinkle aamchur powder at this stage and mix well.
- Add besan next by sprinkling evenly on the okra.
- Mix well.
- Cook on low flame for 1 min.
- Once done, serve hot.
Step By Step tutorial to make Besan Bhindi Masala
Heat a pan and dry roast besan until fragrant and light brown. Set aside.
Heat oil in the same pan. Crackle the cumin seeds and add garlic cloves. Once garlic begins to brown, add onion and fry till pink.
Once done, add all the spice powders except the aamchur powder and mix well. Cook for 30 secs. Add the sliced bhindi and mix well. Cook till all moisture and slime goes away and the bhindi becomes limp and begins to brown around the edges. Takes 6-7 mins.
Now, sprinkle the aamchur powder and mix well. Next add roasted besan flour by sprinkling evenly. Mix well. Cook for 1-2 mins on medium flame. Once done, serve hot.
More Bhindi Recipes
If you enjoyed this pan-fried Besan Bhindi, then here are more Bhindi recipes for you.