How To Make Capsicum Pulao?
CAPSICUM PULAO- A SIMPLE FLAVORFUL RICE MADE WITH BELL PEPPERS (CAPSICUM).
Capsicum Pulao is a simple flavor loaded pulao. I make this pulao when i have stray pieces of coloured bell pepper lurking around in my fridge. We all have those days, don’t we? A quarter of a red bell pepper and a half green bell pepper, not quite enough to make anything else. So just combine everything and use it up.
This capsicum pulao happened when i was in India a while back. When i go to India, i choose cooking recipes that have poppy seeds in them, simply because we dont have access to poppy seeds in Singapore. I cook there and i click there. Oh and we eat it there too 🙂
Strange as it may sound, poppy seeds impart a lovely delicate flavor to this pulao. And what makes this even more appealing is the addition of fried onions in the end. The crispy sweet onions add a lovely texture to the otherwise soft pulao. So, the next time, give your regular vegetable pulao a break and try this capsicum pulao.
Recipe For Capsicum Pulao
- Basmati rice ½ c
- Colored bell peppers ½ c chopped finely ( use a mix of green, yellow and red)
- Onion 1 large chopped finely
- Onion 1 cup sliced thinly ( about 2 large onions here)
- Cardamom 1
- Mace 1
- Cinnamon stick 1″
- Cloves 2
- Bay leaf 1
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp
- To Grind Together
- Grated coconut 2 tbsp
- Poppy seeds 1 tsp
- Water ¼ c
- Green chili 2
- Soak the poppy seeds in warm water for at least an hour.
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in 1 cup of water for 20 mins.
- In the meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the one cup of sliced onions till golden. Drain and set aside.
- Place the coconut, green chili , soaked poppy seeds and ¼ cup of water in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the same pan that you used to fry the onions.
- Add the whole spices and fry for a min.
- Now add finely chopped onions and bell pepper.
- Fry till onions become light brown.
- Add the soaked rice along with the ground paste and salt to the pan now.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook till rice is fluffy and tender to the bite.
- Alternatively, you may transfer the contents to an electric rice cooker and cook till done.
- Or you may cook the pulao in a pressure cooker for ten mins on medium flame without the whistle.
- Once done, fluff the rice gently with a fork.
- Top with fried onions and serve hot.