How To Make Pudina Paratha Or Pudina Lachcha Paratha?
PUDINA LACHCHA PARATHA- WHOLE WHEAT FLATBREADS WITH FRESH MINT &SPICES.
Restaurant style Pudina Lachcha Paratha or simply put, Pudina Paratha is a flavor packed unleavened whole wheat flat bread . It is a flaky flatbread that is pleated, patted and rolled out into a thin circle which is then cooked on a tawa. While there are many recipes for making pudina paratha out there on the internet, i don’t consider any paratha worth my salt unless the recipe comes from a Punjaban.
This Pudina lachcha paratha is different from the regular pudina paratha in the sense that it involves smearing a paste of spices before being pleated and rolled up. Use the freshest of mint leaves possible for this. The finer you chop your mint leaves, the better your flavor in the paratha. I used home grown organic mint leaves for this. I have used ghee to make the spice paste but you can use regular vegetable oil for a vegan version.
This post is a step by step tutorial on how to make the flakiest softest pudina lachcha paratha . If you follow all the steps carefully, then you will have beautifully layered pudina lachcha paratha. This tastes best when eaten hot. I served these flaky beauties with some dhaba style da tadka and fresh homemade yogurt. Shall we now check how to make the flakiest, beautifully layered pudina lachcha paratha?
Step By Step Instructions To Make Pudina Lachcha Paratha
Place the whole wheat flour , salt and finely chopped mint leaves in a large mixing bowl. Add water gradually, mix and knead to a supple non sticky dough. Set aside for ten mins.
In a bowl, mix melted ghee, jeera powder, chaat masala and salt until incorporated. Set aside.
Now, divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Shape each part into a ball.
Dust a ball of dough lightly with flour. Place on a flat surface and roll into a thin circle, about 3 mm thick. The thinner you roll the dough, the more layers your paratha will have.
Now, spread about 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture evenly over the rolled dough and begin pleating the dough . Once you have pleated the dough, roll the pleat inwards to make a circle of the pleats. The dough should look like something in the last picture in the gallery below.
Once done, press down the dough slightly and dust with flour. Roll out into a thin circle again.
Heat a tawa. Place the rolled out paratha and cook on the tawa until brown spots begin to appear. Once brown spots appear, smear oil on the paratha and flip and cook again for 30 secs.
Once done, remove from tawa and serve hot with any curry or dal of your choice. Repeat the same steps for the remaining dough.
Recipe For Pudina Lachcha Paratha
- Whole wheat flour 2.5 cups
- Mint leaves 100 g chopped very finely
- Water to knead the dough
- Salt ½ tsp
- Ghee (clarified butter) melted 2 tbsp
- Chaat masala 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder (jeera powder) 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Wheat flour for dusting
- Oil to cook the paratha
- In a large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, ½ teaspoon salt, mint leaves and water and knead to a smooth non sticky dough. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine ghee, salt, cumin powder and chaat masala.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and shape each into a ball.
- Dust a ball of dough lightly and roll into a thin circle of 2 mm thickness.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of the spice paste evenly on the rolled out circle of dough.
- Now, pleat the dough by making overlapping folds.
- Once you have pleated the dough, roll the dough inwards to a flattened circle.
- Slighly press down the circle of dough.
- Dust with flour again and roll into a thin circle.
- Heat a tawa.
- Place the rolled out paratha and cook till brown spots begin to appear.
- Once spots appear, smear oil on the paratha
- Flip and cook for 30 secs.
- Smear oil on the other side, flip and cook for 30 secs.
- Remove and serve hot with any curry or dal of your choice.
- Repeat the same steps with the remaining dough.
Lovely paratha and lovely pics..
I Love this paratha.. yum.