How To Make No Knead Whole Wheat Focaccia?
NO KNEAD WHOLE WHEAT FOCACCIA- EASY FOCACCIA RECIPE WITH WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR.
This no knead whole wheat focaccia is a dream come true recipe that i discovered in Nick Malgerie’s book. Inspite of the fact that i bake this quite frequently with variations in toppings and flavors, i have never really bothered to take pictures of the entire process step by step.
One day, when i happened to bake this no knead whole wheat focaccia, i had my camera handy and i just decided that i ll take pictures and share this keeper of a recipe with you all. Before i go into the nitty gritty of this focaccia, let me tell you one thing. This bread takes just 10 mins and no muscle power to bake. No fancy equipment too. Isn’t that awesome?
If you are a regular here at my blog, you will know that i love baking bread. Breads like this hokkaido loaf and kugelhopf have given me so much joy. But this no knead whole wheat focaccia takes the cake from all of those breads that i have baked so far. Merely because it is such a simpleton of a recipe that any beginner can attempt without any inhibitions.
Shall we now check how to bake this no knead whole wheat focaccia recipe step by step?
Before i begin, let me tell you all that i used green garlic scapes and cherry tomatoes as topping and infused the dough with rosemary. Well, i know the authentic italian focaccia doesnt call for these but i love to experiment with flavors and hence the idea. You can always make a brilliant focaccia just with basic stuff like grated garlic and tomatoes.
In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, salt and rosemary. Mix well.
In another bowl, combine yeast and warm water. Mix well. To the flour, add olive oil and rub this into the flour mixture till it resembles a crumbly mass. Now add the yeast and water mixture and mix again. You will have a moist crumbly looking flour mixture at this point.
Now, add the remaining warm water to the flour and using a spatula, bring it all together to a dough like mass.
Close this and let rise until double in volume.
In the meanwhile, halve your cherry tomatoes and finely chop the green garlic scapes. Grease a 8″x 8″x 3″ pan well with olive oil. And once your dough has doubled, punch, deflate it and turn it out into the greased pan. Now, use your hands to spread out the dough evenly to the whole of the pan.
Now, make indents on the surface of the dough with your index finger. Place the cherry tomatoes on top and sprinkle the green garlic scapes over the dough. Drizzle one tbsp of olive oil over this. Preheat oven to 180 C. Once done, bake the focaccia for 20 mins or till top turns golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool on a cooling rack for 20 mins before slicing and serving.
Recipe For No Knead Whole Wheat Focaccia
No Knead Whole Wheat Focaccia Recipe
- Whole wheat flour 2 cups
- Olive 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Warm water 1 c
- Instant yeast 1 tsp
- Dried rosemary 1 tsp
- Cherry tomatoes 10 halved
- Green garlic scapes 2 tbsp chopped finely
- Grease a square sheet cake pan with olive oil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, salt and dried rosemary.
- Mix well.
- Add yeast to 1/4 cup water and mix well.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to the flour mixture and rub the oil into the mixture till it resembles a crumbly mixture.
- Now, add yeast water mixture and mix well. You will have a crumbly dough mass now.
- Add the remaining warm water to this and using a spatula bring everything together to form a dough.
- Close with a wet kitchen towel and let rise until double in volume.
- Once done, punch the dough and turn it out onto the greased pan.
- Using your hands spread the dough out across the entire pan evenly
- Make indents on the dough using your index finger.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on the dough and sprinkle the green garlic.
- Drizzle the 1 tbsp olive oil on the dough.
- Close the dough and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Once preheated, bake the focaccia for 20 mins or until top turns golden brown.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack for 20 mins before slicing and serving.
- Serve warm.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Vanessa Seoane says
Would it be okay to double the ingredients? Will everything work the same?
Hey Vanessa, I have not tried doubling the recipe. So i m not really sure. I have a small family so my portions are quite limited.
Excellent recipe! Thanks! Turned out so good. Tweaked it a little. Added fresh garlic and rosemary in the dough mix and topped it with Italian herbs and garlic powder.
Rosemary and garlic sounds so delicious! So glad you enjoyed the recipe Anila 🙂
Kalpana Sareesh says
In love with the texture,beautifully baked and its totally my kinda bread!!