HOW TO MAKE KOTHAVARANGAI PULI KUZHAMBU?
KOTHAVARANGAI PULI KUZHAMBU-A TANGY GRAVY WITH CLUSTER BEANS AND SHALLOTS.
This kuzhambu is a quick and delicious recipe that is best enjoyed with hot rice and ghee or sesame oil. Also called as cluster beans in english, this kothavarangai or kothavarai is a vegetable that is not liked by many because it is not used rightly. This variety of beans that is available in plenty during the winters, lends itself very well to tangy kuzhambu varieties and also paruppu usili.
This is also a no coconut kuzhambu that uses very minimal spices and the thalippu vadagam. I was given a big batch of this delicious thalippu vadagam by my MIL s friend and have used it extensively in most of my chettinad style kuzhambu recipes. Use tender kothavarangai for this simple kothavarangai puli kuzhambu for best results.
Substitutes for Kothavarangai:
Kothavarangai is cluster beans in English and is also called kothavarai ( Tamil), Gavarphali( hindi) and gorchikudukaya( telugu). You can use veggies like eggplants or shallots or even just plain garlic and make this kuzhambu.
What s thalippu vadagam? Its sundried lentils and shallot shaped into balls. These are almost always homemade and very popular in the Chettinad cuisine. These are also called Karuvadam in some households. So, if you are wondering if this is an absolute must in this recipe, the answer is yes. Because it adds great flavor and that flavor cannot be imitated by using any other ingredient.
Kotharavarangai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe
- Cluster beans 100 g stringed and chopped into 2 inch bits
- Shallots 5 to 6
- Curry leaves a few
- Tamarind a small gooseberry size soaked in 1 c warm water and made into extract.
- Salt to taste
- Sambar powder 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Jaggery a small pinch
- Thalippu vadagam 1 tablespoon crumbled
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds 1 teaspoon
- Sesame oil 2 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and once they pop, add urad dal and fenugreek seeds.
- When the urad dal begins to brown, add the thalippu vadagam and fry for 30 secs
- Add curry leaves and shallots next.
- Fry till shallots turn pink and translucent
- Add the cluster beans next and mix well.
- Fry for 3 to 4 mins on medium flame.
- Once done, add turmeric powder and sambar powder,mix well and fry for 20 secs
- Add tamarind extract along with salt and jaggery.
- Simmer till raw smell of the tamarind goes away and the kuzhambu thickens considerably.
- Serve hot with rice.
Shall we now see how to make Kothavarangai Puli Kuzhambu Step By Step?
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and once they pop, add the urad dal and fenugreek seeds.When dal begins to brown, add the thalipu vadagam and curry leaves. Fry for 30 secs. Add shallots next and fry till shallots turn pink and translucent.
When the shallots are done, add cluster beans, mix well and fry for 3-4 mins. Now, add sambar powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and fry for 30 secs
Once done, add the tamarind extract along with salt and jaggery. Mix well and simmer till raw smell of tamarind goes away and the kuzhambu thickens a bit.
Serve Kothavarangai Puli Kuzhambu with hot rice, ghee and some potato podi curry.