How To Make Gujarati Khaman Dhokla?
GUJARATI KHAMAN DHOKLA- STEAMED CHICKPEA FLOUR CAKES TEMPERED WITH CHILIES & SPICES. GUJARATI RECIPES.
Dhokla. Yellow, moist and spongy. Somewhere between a cake and a bread. We love Gujarati food in our house. The khaman or khaman dhokla or the dhokla is our all time favorite. Minimal prep time and efforts combined with the simplest of ingredients is the formula for some super spongy and ultra moist dhokla. The secret to getting them perfect is using the right amount of leavening agent. Normally, in most khaman recipes, the leavening agent is soda bicarb or eno, a fruit salt. The gujaratis have two kinds of dhokla- the Surati Idada which is made with rice and urad dal just like our south indian idli and this yellow khaman dhokla which can be prepared in a jiffy. All you have to do is whip up some mint chutney and your are good to go. Shall we now check out the recipe?
Recipe For Gujarati Khaman Dhokla
- Besan flour or chick pea flour 1 cup
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Ginger 1 inch bit
- Green chilli 3
- Curd 1/2 cup
- Water 1/2 cup
- Salt 1 tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp no, dont cringe!! you will love it
- Eno 1 and 3/4 tsp
- For tempering:
- Mustard seeds
- Hing a large pinch
- For garnish:
- Grated coconut 1 tbsp
- Corainder leaves chopped fine 2 tbsp
- Grind the green chillies and ginger to a fine paste in a mixer. If that doesnt seem to work, use that mortar and pestle to crush the ginger and chillies together to make a coarse paste.
- In a mixing bowl, add the besan flour, the chilli ginger paste, sugar, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well. Now make a batter by adding curd and water. Mix well so that no lumps are formed.
- Grease a deep bottom flat vessel with oil generously.
- Mix eno to the batter and combine well. Now pour the batter to the pan and steam in a pressure cooker without the pressure valve for 12 to 15 mins. Insert a knife into the steamed dhokla to see if it comes out clean. If it does not, then steam for another 3 mins. Remove from cooker and let it cool. Cut into small pieces and temper with all the tempering ingredients.
- Garnish with coriander and coconut. Serve with mint chutney. Makes a nice evening snack. But dhoklas for breakfast not my cuppa.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.