How To Make Achari Aloo Gobi?
ACHARI ALOO GOBI- A SIMPLE CURRY WITH CAULIFLOWER & POTATO IN PICKLING SPICES.
Achari Aloo Gobi is a simple yet flavor packed curry that tastes great with hot phulkas or rotis. Achar means pickle in Hindi. Like the name suggests, this achari aloo gobi uses freshly roasted and ground pickling spices for flavor. But the unsung hero of this curry is mustard oil. The mustard oil lends a subtle pungent flavor to the curry which rounds off the flavors in the pickling spices very well.
I was not a fan of mustard oil until recently when i made Kashmiri Nadir Palak, a couple of days back. The smell of mustard oil has always made me resist it. But this time, because i wanted the real deal, i went ahead and braved it. And to my surprise, i found that i actually liked the flavor. I also found that when mustard oil is heated up, it becomes less pungent and more flavorful.
And now, it is a whole new love affair with mustard oil. Coming back to this Achari Aloo Gobi, use the freshest of cauliflower possible. You can also make this curry with just cauliflower. I adapted this recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor s website.
So shall we now check how to Achari Aloo Gobi step by step?
Finely chop onions, tomatoes, ginger, green chili and garlic.
Heat a pan and dry roast cumin, mustard, fenugreek, nigella seeds and fennel seeds until aromatic. Make sure you do this on low flame or the spices may burn. Once roasted, let cool and grind to a fine powder in a blender.
Heat mustard oil in a pan. Add hing and cumin seeds. Once the seeds crackle, add finely chopped ginger, green chili and garlic. Once garlic turns light brown, add the finely chopped onions and fry till translucent.
Once done, add spice powders along with freshly ground powder and salt and cook for 30 secs. Once done, add tomatoes and mix well. Cook till mushy. Turn down flame to low and add yogurt. Mix well.
Add chopped cauliflower and potatoes and mix well. Close and cook covered for 10 -15 mins on medium low flame. The cauliflower and potato must be cooked but firm. Once done, switch off flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves , ginger and green chili.
Your Achari Aloo Gobi is now ready.
Recipe For Achari Aloo Gobi
- Cauliflower florets 1 cup
- Potatoes 2 medium peeled and chopped
- Onion 1 large chopped finely
- Ginger 1″ chopped into julienne
- Garlic 5 cloves minced finely
- Green chili 1 minced
- Tomatoes 2 medium chopped finely
- Chili powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Hing a large pinch
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves 2 tbsp chopped finely
- To roast and grind
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1 tsp
- Nigella seeds 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
- Dry roast fenugreek, fennel, cumin, mustard and nigella seeds in a pan.
- Let cool and grind to a fine powder.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Add hing and cumin seeds and once the seeds crackle, add green chilies, garlic and ginger.
- Once garlic turns light brown, add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add the freshly ground spice powder along with turmeric and chili powder and mix well.
- Cook for 30 secs.
- Now, add tomatoes along with salt and cook till mushy.
- Turn down flame to low.
- Once done, add yogurt and mix well.
- Add the chopped potatoes and cauliflower and mix well.
- Cook covered on medium low flame for 10 to 15 mins until vegetables are cooked but firm.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.