Tomato And Pudina Chutney Recipe- A No Onion No Garlic Chutney That Goes Well With Idli, Dosa. Vegan. Gluten free. Nut and Soy free.
Tomato Pudina Chutney, an easy and simple chutney made with fresh tomatoes and mint leaves, is a wonderful combination for dosa, idli and aapam. It even pairs well with rotis and i sometimes use it as a spread in a wrap or a sandwich. The flavors are refreshing and it tastes mildly tangy with a hint of sweetness from the tomatoes. This is a excellent choice on days when we are fasting as it has no onion and garlic. And the brownie point is that this Tomato Pudina Chutney has no coconut. So it stays well for up to a week when refrigerated in an air tight container. So the next time, you make dosas or idlies, give the regular coconut chutney a miss and make this tomato pudina chutney.
Recipe For Tomato Pudina Chutney
Tomato Pudina Chutney
- Fresh Roma Tomatoes 3 medium chopped into chunks.
- Mint leaves 1/2 c tightly packed.
- Coriander leaves 1/4 c chopped finely
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Dry red chilies 3 to 4
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- To Temper
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add the cumin seeds and once it crackles, add the dry red chilies and chopped tomatoes.
- Saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the salt to the tomatoes now to quicken the process.
- Once they become a mush, add the mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Saute till the leaves wilt.
- Once done, switch off flame and transfer to a plate.
- Let cool completely.
- Place the mixture in a blender and grind to a smooth paste adding about 1.5 tbsp of water.
- Once done, transfer to a bowl.
- To temper, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Pop the mustard and tip in the urad dal and curry leaves.
- Once the dal turns golden, mix the tempering into the chutney.
- Mix well.
- Serve along side dosas and idlis.
2. I recommend using sesame oil in the tempering to take the chutney a notch up.
3. Adjust chilies as per your spice requirements.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Mullai Madavan says
Thank you for sharing this recipe, i tried and it came out well…. everone at home enjoyed it with dosai!
I add chana dal and urad dal keep it for rice too one of my favorite