How To Make Sri Lankan Vegetable Stew?
SRI LANKAN VEGETABLE STEW- WINTER VEGGIES IN A LIGHT COCONUT MILK SAUCE
Vegetable stew by itself is a wholesome meal. While i do make the kerala style potato stew very often, this Sri Lankan style vegetable stew is a family favorite. Lil A loves the colors in the dish. Mr. P and i appreciate this for different reasons- He loves the flavors. And i love the fact that this stew is chock full of veggies. So it s a win-win either way.
Unlike Indian curries, the concept of Sri Lankan cooking is very simple in terms of spices. Almost all their dishes have cinnamon and curry leaves as the dominant flavors. Fish is also an integral part of their meal. This Sri Lankan vegetable stew is a vegan and gluten free stew that you can pair with aapam, dosa or even plain basmati rice.
This Sri Lankan vegetable stew is such a simple affair that you can whip up in 15 mins flat if you have the coconut milk ready. I used packaged pasteurized Coconut milk for this. You can also use freshly expressed coconut milk. But then, you may need more time than 15 mins.
Shall we now check how to make Sri Lankan Vegetable Stew Step By Step?
Chop all veggies and par boil them. You can either use a microwave or do this on the stove top. Just make sure you veggies are cooked but with a crunch. Drain completely and set aside.
Heat a pan with coconut oil. Add the whole spices one by one. Once the spices begin to become light brown, add ginger, curry leaves and onions. Saute till onions turn translucent.
Once onion turns translucent, add all the spice powders and mix well. Cook on medium flame for 30 secs. Once done, add all the veggies and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of water and salt to this and mix well.
Once the mixture begins to boil, switch off flame. Add the coconut milk and mix well. Add sugar at this stage along with curry leaves. Mix well. Cook this on low flame till the mixture just begins to froth. Switch off flame.
Your Sri Lankan vegetable stew is now ready.
Recipe For Sri Lankan Vegetable Stew
- Mixed veggies ( carrots, beans, potatoes) 1 cup
- Onion 2 medium sliced thinly
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Thin coconut milk 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- Grated ginger 1 tsp
- Sugar 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf 1
- Cloves 2
- Cinnamom 1″ stick
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Coconut oil 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water 1/2 cup
- Peel and chop all veggies into juliennes.
- Par boil them with 4 cups of water in the microwave or on stove top till tender but crunchy.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add the whole spices and toss.
- Once spices begin to turn light brown, add a sprig of curry leaves, onions and ginger.
- Cook till onion becomes translucent.
- Once done, add red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder & turmeric.
- Mix well and cook on medium flame for 30 secs.
- Add all chopped veggies now and mix well
- Add 1/2 c of water along with salt.
- Once water begins to boil, switch off flame.
- Add coconut milk, another sprig of curry leaves and sugar and mix well.
- Cook on low flame until the mixture just begins to froth.
- Switch off flame.
- Serve hot.