HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER CASHEW CURRY?
Cauliflower Cashew Curry- A creamy and delicious combination of cashews and cauliflower in a mild curry base.
Easy And Quick Curries For The Win!
Warm, weeknight dinners are here to stay. The nip in the air has become more pronounced now. Or shall we call it a bite in the air? And just in time for this season, we have this creamy and delicious vegan and gluten-free Cauliflower Cashew Curry.
Prep Work for Cauliflower Cashew Curry
- This recipe calls for freshly grated coconut. If you are using frozen fresh coconut, then make sure you thaw the coconut before making this recipe.
- Also, chop the cauliflower, onions and tomatoes.
- Sort the mint and cilantro leaves.
Ingredients- Substitutes and Replacements
- Freshly grated coconut– Adding coconut to the spice paste helps in thickening this curry and also gives it body. But if you do not have coconut, then skip the coconut. Make the spice paste without the coconut. While cooking the curry, add the coconut milk after adding the spice paste. Mix well and continue to proceed with the remaining steps.
- Cashews– This recipe equally works well with blanched almonds. So feel free to substitute cashews with almonds too.
- Coconut Oil– This lends a nice nutty aroma to the recipe. But you can always use any neutral-flavored vegetable oil instead too.
- Cauliflower– Both frozen cauliflower florets and fresh ones work well here. Please follow the package instructions if you are using frozen ones. However, please remember that frozen florets cook faster.
- Peas – The peas give a nice texture to this curry and also amps up the protein. Feel free to skip this if you are not a fan.
- Tomatoes– This gives a tang to the curry and is highly recommended. Skip this if you don’t have tomatoes. Instead, squeeze a wedge of lemon into the curry just before serving. But please do not reheat the curry after adding lemon juice.
This cauliflower cashew curry freezes beautifully. Once the curry is cooked, let it become luke warm. Once done, transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze. This keeps well in the freezer for two weeks.
Let the frozen cauliflower cashew curry thaw in the fridge for 3 to 4 hours before eating. Just before eating, gently reheat.
I recommend freezing this curry in small portions for longer shelf life. Make sure to always use a clean spoon.
This curry tastes best with freshly toased bread or Naan or rice.
Check out these recipes to serve up with this delicious Cauliflower curry-
Cauliflower Cashew Curry Step By Step
- Make the paste- Combine the mint, cilantro leaves, fresh coconut, cashews and other spices. Add about ¼ c water and grind to a really smooth paste.
2. Heat a pan with oil. Add the spices for tempering and when they pop, add the onions. Saute well till onions turn pink and translucent.
3. When the onions are pink, add the cashews and saute for just a min.
4. Now, tip in the tomatoes and mix well. Cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
5. As soon as the tomatoes are mushy, add the peas and cauliflower and mix well. Saute for a min on medium flame.
6. Add the ground spice paste and ½ c water. Mix well. Add more water if you want a thinner curry. Cook covered on medium flame till florets are cooked. Takes 5 to 6 mins approximately.
Once done, serve this lip-smacking curry with rice or naan.
We are huge cauliflower fans here. We love pretty much anything that has cauliflower in this. And this curry is no exception. If you are like us, then you should check out these recipes too !
Cauliflower tossed in gluten-free flours and deep fried to make crispy cauliflower bites.
A creamy buttery Cauliflower curry made with Makhani Sauce
Chunks of cauliflower and potatoes stir fried with nuts.
A classic combination of Cauliflower and Potatoes cooked in pickling spices.
Follow me on Instagram or Facebook for regular cooking updates and short videos. Follow me on Pinterest for delicious content. Tried our Cauliflower Cashew Curry? Then please rate this recipe and tell us why you loved our recipe!
In case you have any questions regarding this recipe, leave a comment and I’ll respond at the earliest possible. If you tried this recipe and enjoyed it, click a picture and share it on Instagram by tagging us @tomatoblues.
Cauliflower Cashew Curry
- Sauce Pan
For The Spice Paste
- ¼ c fresh grated coconut
- 10 to 12 leaves Mint
- ¼ c finely chopped coriander leaves
- 8 whole cashews
- 3 green chilies chopped roughly
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ¼ c water
For the curry
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Fennel seeds
- ¾ c finely chopped onions
- 6 curry leaves
- ¼ c Whole cashews Around 12 to 14
- ¼ c Finely chopped tomatoes
- 1.5 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt or to taste
- ¼ c Frozen peas
- 150 g Chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 recipe spice paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ½ c Water
Making the spice paste
- Add all the ingredients mentioned under the Spice paste column of ingredients to a blender.
- Add ¼ c water to this and grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
Making the Curry
- Heat a pan with coconut oil.
- Add mustard seeds and once they pop, add fennel seeds.
- Now add the finely chopped onions and saute till they turn pink and translucent.
- At this stage add the cashews and saute for a min.
- Add the tomatoes next along with salt. Mix well and cook till they are mushy.
- Tip in the peas and cauliflower and mix well.
- Add the ground paste along with turmeric powder, sugar and ½ c water.
- Cook covered for 5 to 7 mins on medium flame.
- Once done, serve hot with Naan or rice.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Leave a Reply