HOW TO MAKE METHI DAL-MENTHAKOORA PAPPU?
METHI DAL- MENTHAKOORA PAPPU IN TELUGU. EASY DAL WITH METHI LEAVES.
Methi dal is a protein rich and micro nutrient dense dish. This is made with moong dal and methi (fenugreek leaves) and is considered as a low GI, diabetic friendly and healthy dal. But all nutrient aspects aside, methi dal is delicious.
Methi dal has a distinct flavor of fresh fenugreek leaves and the addition of moong dal balances the flavors very well. While this methi dal is cooked with tamarind in Andhra, its made with a simple tadka in the northern parts of India.
Methi Dal Recipe - Menthakoora Pappu
- Methi leaves 1 cup tightly packed chopped finely
- Moong dal ½ c
- Onion 1 small chopped finely
- Garlic cloves 2 sliced thinly
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Hing a large pinch
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon + ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 1 tablespoon
- To Temper:
- Ghee 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds ½ teaspoon
- Dry red chili 1 broken
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and hing.
- Once they crackle, add garlic cloves and fry till light brown.
- Now, add onions and fry till pink and translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder and fry for 30 secs.
- Next add chopped fenugreek leaves and fry till they wilt.
- Add the moong dal and a cup of water to this.
- Now , transfer all this to a deep dish .
- Add salt to this. Mix well.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Let pressure release of its own.
- Once done, mash thoroughly using a masher or a ladle.
- Heat a pan with 1 teaspoon ghee.
- Add mustard seeds and once they pop, add cumin seeds and dry red chili.
- Pour this over the dal and serve hot.
Stepwise Pictorial For Methi Dal Recipe
Heat ghee in a pan. Add hing and cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add garlic and fry till light brown. Once done, add onions and fry till pink and translucent. Next add all spice powders and mix well. Cook on low flame for 30 secs.
Now, add chopped methi and fry till they wilt. Once done, add moong dal and 1 cup of water along with salt. Add this to a deep pan and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Let pressure release of its own. Once pressure releases, mash well with a masher or a ladle.
Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a small pan. Pop the mustard seeds, crackle the cumin and add dry red chili. Pour over the dal. Now your methi dal is ready.