RAW JACKFRUIT CURRY (PANASAKAYA KOORA)
RAW JACKFRUIT CURRY- A VEGAN MEATY CURRY MADE WITH FRESHLY GROUND SPICES AND SESAME SEEDS.
What is Andhra Style Panasakaya Koora?
Panasakaya in Telugu means raw jackfruit. While the jackfruit is widely enjoyed as a fruit in many parts of the world, the raw jackfruit still remains a thing of culinary mystery to many. This beautiful vegetable has a meaty texture and lends itself well to any curry base. It is like a sponge that absorbs any flavor well.
I have never eaten raw jackfruit as a child. But my palates have been subjected to so much of culinary exploration that i really have forgotten when was the first time i ate it too. While the raw jackfruit is a popular substitute for meat in Biriyani, what many don’t know is that it can also be used in regular cooking just like this curry.
I learned making this raw jackfruit curry from my first friend in Singapore. And i have made it several times since the day i learned it. I also love how the spice powder that is made for this particular recipe can be used for making other vegetable curries too. Plantains, aubergines, potato ,ivy gourd and okra are great choices.
How to prep Raw Jackfruit for Panasakaya Koora?
Discard the seeds from the flesh. Wash the raw jackfruit well. And pat it dry fully. To do this, drain the washed jackfruit pieces in a colander and air dry them. When fully dry, add this to your food processor or chopper and shred them.
You can also use a box grater to shred your raw jackfruit.
Will frozen or canned raw jackfruit work in this curry?
Frozen raw jackfruit will work beautifully in this Panasakaya koora. However, canned raw jackfruit has brine. This does not work in recipes such as this raw jackfruit curry.
If you are living in Singapore, you can find fresh raw jackfruit which has been cut into chunks in Sri Murugan stores or Mustafa.
More Andhra Recipes
Here are some more Andhra recipes for you to explore and enjoy.
Panasakaya Koora- Video
Also, if you liked and enjoyed watching this video, please subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking here-My YouTube Channel.
Andhra Style Panasakaya Koora Recipe
Raw Jackfruit Curry- Panasakaya Koora Recipe
- 300 g RAW JACKFRUIT shredded
- 3-4 c WATER
- SALT TO TASTE
- 10 leaves CURRY LEAVES
- ⅛th teaspoon ASAFOETIDA
- 1 tablespoon OIL
- 1.5 teaspoon MUSTARD SEEDS
- 1.5 teaspoon URAD DAL
- FOR THE SPICE POWDER-
- 1 tablespoon CORIANDER SEEDS
- 1 tablespoon CHANNA DAL
- 1.5 tablespoon URAD DAL
- 1 teaspoon FENUGREEK SEEDS
- 2 teaspoon SESAME SEEDS
- 3 g TAMARIND
- 5 -6 DRY RED CHILIES
- 2 tablespoon KOPPARA DRY COCONUT
- SALT TO TASTE
- 1 teaspoon OIL 1 TSP
- 1 teaspoon TURMERIC POWDER 1 TSP
- Shred the raw jackfruit.
- Add a cup of water to it and pressure cook for two to three whistles.
- Drain this completely and set aside.
- Heat a pan with a teaspoon of oil.
- Add the urad dal and channa dal and roast till golden.
- Next add remaining ingredients for the spice powder except the dry coconut and turmeric.
- Fry till aromatic.
- Lastly, add the dry coconut and fry on low flame till it turns a golden brown.
- Once done, transfer immediately to a mixer jar and add turmeric and salt to this.
- Let cool.
- Grind to a smooth powder.
- Heat the same pan with the remaining oil.
- Add mustard seeds and once they pop, add urad dal and curry leaves along with a small pinch of asafoetida.
- Once the dal browns, add the shredded jackfruit and mix well.
- Add the roasted and ground spice powder to this and mix well.
- Cook on medium flame for 2 mins, stirring in between
- Switch off flame once done.