Step by step guide to make the creamiest vegan broccoli almond soup. If you have not tried combining broccoli and almonds, seriously, what are you waiting for? Now, go grab some broccoli and let us get started. This insanely delicious soup is dairy-free, gluten-free and can easily be made keto-friendly.
Come join us on Pinterest to find delicious pins.
My H often resorts to soup diets. But this soup was not one of his diet ideas. Thank God for that. Considering the fact that all of his diet regimens are hair raising more for me than for him, I will soon be left with a bald shiny head if he keeps up with his diet regimen.
Jokes apart, we have come long way along the soup road as a family. And this one has become our all time favorite. In fact, this soup is what comes to my mind instantly when there is broccoli in the fridge. And it will be an understatement if I tell you that broccoli with almonds is an insanely delicious way to enjoy broccoli.
Why you should this lip-smacking soup?
- Naturally gluten-free and vegan.
- Can be made in a huge batch and frozen easily.
- High in protein.
- Immune boosting soup.
- Easy 20 mins INSTANT POT recipe.
Like I mentioned in the beginning, this is a vegan soup. But let me tell you what is the best part about this recipe-It uses no fancy ingredients unless you consider broccoli and almonds fancy.
Here is a fun fact- did you know that broccoli is a natural immunity boosting ingredient?
Since I m huge on meal prep, I tend to separate the florets and store them in an airtight container in my fridge. This minimizes the prep time to a very large extent. If you are in a pinch, use frozen broccoli florets.
Blanched almonds are my go-to here. I always prefer soaking my nuts and seeds before using them in any recipe since soaking reduces the phytic acid in them. As for this recipe, I recommend blanched almonds since those with the peel on may change the color of the soup. To quickly blanch almonds, dunk them in hot boiling water for 15 mins. After 15 mins, drain them and gently press them to remove the skin. Alternatively, you can also use ¼ cup ground almonds or ¼ cup of slivered almonds in this soup.
And if you love plant milk, then you can make this broccoli soup with almond milk too. Use 250 ml of unsweetened almond milk and 250 ml of low sodium vegetable stock instead of 500 ml stock.
This recipe calls for very basic flavors and spices. In fact, we are going to let garlic do its job for enhancing the flavors in the soup. You can add your own spin to this soup by adding roasted garlic, garlic comfit or garlic powder. Huge fan of garlic? Top the soup with some roasted garlic flakes before serving. Don’t forget to chew on some mint or cloves later, though 😛
As someone who eats very minimal salt, I m very wary of using stock, stock cubes and broth. I always look out for low sodium stock or broth if I m buying. Please feel free to use whatever stock floats your boat.
Olive oil packs a punch in terms of flavor and taste. I love it in my salads and pasta. And also in my soups. Use extra virgin olive oil or light olive oil. Other oils that work well in this recipe include cold pressed coconut oil and canola oil. You can also use vegan butter.
What I love about this recipe is that it does not call for any kind of plant-based milk. While there really is nothing wrong about using plant-milk, some people may not have access to it. And it is common knowledge that plant-milk can be expensive. Enter potatoes. Potatoes make for a fantastic thickening agent in any soup.
Choose your pick when it comes to the type of potatoes. Hertha, Holland and russet potatoes all make a great choice.
How can a soup be made and enjoyed in only one way? Not fair to any one, right? So let us dive right in and explore more versions, shall we?
- Cheese makes everything better. Make this into a broccoli cheddar soup with almond milk like the Panera version. Leave out the stock, add almond milk in its place while cooking. Add some shredded cheddar just after blending the soup and mix well. Serve piping hot.
- Keto-friendly almond and broccoli soup. Yes, you heard right. Leave out the potatoes. Add turnips instead! And you will have some creamy and just as delicious keto broccoli soup.
- Swap out the almonds. Use walnuts or cashews for a different creamy version.
- For broccoli soup Indian style, add a dash of turmeric and ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala.
Shelf life and storage
Hands down a super freezer-friendly recipe, this soup keeps well for 3 days when stored in the fridge. Since we do not add any dairy, the shelf life is longer. Store this in an air-tight fridge-safe container.
To freeze this soup, allow the soup to cool completely. When cool, divide into portions and transfer to small freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 1 month. To use frozen soup, thaw at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. When done, gently reheat on low flame and serve hot.
We love this hearty and wholesome soup with soft vegan dinner rolls. When I m in the mood for a heavier meal, I make some pasta salad or this middle eastern inspired pearl barley tabbouleh.
You can make this soup in so many ways. Today, I ll share how to make this recipe in an open pan and in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Broccoli Soup
Place the inner pot into the Instant Pot. Turn on SAUTE mode for 7 mins. When the display reads HOT, add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and onions. Mix well. Saute for 1 min until onion begin to soften. Since we are pressure cooking, there is really no need to brown the onions.
Now, add the potatoes, blanched almonds and broccoli florets. 250g means roughly 2.5 cups broccoli florets. Tip in the pepper and salt. Mix well. Add the stock. Stir to combine.
Press CANCEL. Ensure that the sealing ring is fitted properly into the lid. Close the Instant Pot and turn the valve to SEALING. Now press the PRESSURE COOK button. Set the timer to 3 mins and HIGH PRESSURE mode. Allow the cooking cycle to complete.
When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the PRESSURE TO RELEASE NATURALLY for 5 MINS. After 5 mins, quick release pressure by turning the VALVE to VENTING.
Blending the soup
Open the lid. Blend the soup till smooth and creamy using an immersion blender ( stick blender/hand blender).
Serve hot with some crusty bread or your choice of carbs.
Open pan method
Steam the broccoli using a steamer for 10 mins. Boil potatoes in a pressure cooker until soft and cooked. Heat a pan with olive oil. Now, add the garlic and onions. Mix well and saute until garlic turns golden and onions become pink and soft. This takes roughly 3 mins on medium flame.
When done, add the blanched almonds, steamed broccoli florets, boiled potato along with salt and pepper. Add the stock at this stage and stir to combine. Simmer this mixture on medium flame for 3 to 4 mins until it begins to bubble slightly.
When done, switch off flame. Blend to a smooth puree using an immersion blender. Alternatively, you can allow the mixture to cool down and blend it in a regular blender too. But if you are doing it this way, then simmer the blended soup on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
Follow me on Instagram or Facebook for regular cooking updates and short videos. Find us on Pinterest for delicious content. Tried this vegan broccoli and almond soup recipe? We value your thoughts and comments! Please rate this recipe and tell us how it worked for you. Email us your questions to email@example.com if you need any guidance in making this recipe.
Fancy some more soup?
Broccoli Almond Soup
- 6 qt Instant Pot/ 3 liter pressure cooker
- Immersion blender/ Blender
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 grams chopped garlic ¼ cup approximately
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 15 blanched almonds
- ½ cup peeled and cubed potatoes 125 g in weight
- 250 g chopped broccoli florets 1 medium head broccoli stalks removed.
- 500 ml low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
Instant Pot Broccoli Soup
- Place the inner pot into the Instant Pot.
- Turn on SAUTE mode for 7 mins.
- When the display reads HOT, add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and onions.
- Mix well.
- Saute for 1 min until onion begin to soften.
- Now, add the potatoes, blanched almonds and broccoli florets.
- Tip in the pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Add the stock.
- Stir to combine.
- Press CANCEL.
- Ensure that the sealing ring is fitted properly into the lid.
- Close the Instant Pot and turn the valve to SEALING.
- Now press the PRESSURE COOK button.
- Set the timer to 3 mins and HIGH PRESSURE mode.
- Allow the cooking cycle to complete.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the PRESSURE TO RELEASE NATURALLY for 5 MINS.
- After 5 mins, quick release pressure by turning the VALVE to VENTING.
- Blending the soup
- Open the lid.
- Blend the soup till smooth and creamy using an immersion blender
- Serve hot with some crusty bread or your choice of carbs.
Open pan method
- Steam the broccoli using a steamer for 10 mins.
- Boil potatoes in a pressure cooker until soft and cooked.
- Heat a pan with olive oil.
- Now, add the garlic and onions.
- Mix well and saute until garlic turns golden and onions become pink and soft.
- This takes roughly 3 mins on medium flame.
- When done, add the blanched almonds, steamed broccoli florets, boiled potato along with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock at this stage and stir to combine.
- Simmer this mixture on medium flame for 3 to 4 mins until it begins to bubble slightly.
- When done, switch off flame.
- Blend to a smooth puree using an immersion blender.
- Alternatively, you can allow the mixture to cool down and blend it in a regular blender too.
- Simmer the blended soup on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Super tempting broccoli soup. Love to have this anytime
this is soo much my comfort food too 😉 loved the addition of almonds, Anu :)<br /><br />Kalyani <br /><a href="Sizzling%20Tastebuds" rel="nofollow">Sizzling Tastebuds</a><br /><a href="http://www.sizzlingtastebuds.com/2013/01/new-event-winter-foods-30-min-challenge.html" rel="nofollow">Event : Winter Foods : 30 min Challenge</a><br />
good one Anu.. I can have a bowl of broccoli soup any day… just FYI, do try paruppusli with broccoli.. i was not sure when i first heard it. but most ppl like it
Vidya Chandrahas says
Super comfort soup..very healthy.