HOW TO MAKE VAZHAIPOO KUZHAMBU?
VAZHAIPOO KUZHAMBU- TANGY KUZHAMBU WITH BANANA BLOSSOM
Vazhaipoo kuzhambu is like a kuzhambu made in heaven. The flavors in this kuzhambu come together so beautifully. This kuzhambu is a spin off of the traditional saivameen kuzhambu, a popular delicacy originating in the Chettinad regions of Tamil Nadu.
I call this a spin off because there are many more ingredients used in the original saivameen kuzhambu but i just made a simple version of it. Before we begin making the kuzhambu, it is very important to clean the banana blossom well. If you dont do this, your kuzhambu will be bitter.
To know how to clean banana blossom aka Vazhaipoo the correct way, please click here.
Shall we now check how to make Vazhaipoo Kuzhambu step by step?
Soak tamarind in warm water for 20 mins. Make an extract by mashing the pulp and water together. Strain this and set aside. Clean the vazhaipoo, chop it and place it in a pot of water. Add turmeric and cook the banana blossom till tender.
While the vazhaipoo cooks, heat a pan with 1 tbsp sesame oil. Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, shallots and dry red chilies. Fry on medium heat till the shallots begin to become brown. Once done, transfer to a blender and
Let cool. Add 2 tbsp water and grind this to a smooth paste.
Heat the same pan in which you fried the shallots etc with 2 tbsp sesame oil. Add mustard seeds and once they splutter, add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Now, add chopped onions and green chili. Fry till onions turn light pink. Add cooked vazhaipoo along with ground paste and mix well.
Now add tamarind water and salt. Let it simmer till raw smell of tamarind goes away.
Once done, grind together 1/4c of freshly grated coconut with some water to a really smooth paste. It is absolutely fine if the paste is runny. Add this to the kuzhambu, mix well and simmer till oil begins to float around the edges. Serve hot with rice.
If you are looking for more banana blossom (vazhaipoo) recipes, then check out recipes for vazhaipoo thogayal and vazhaipoo poriyal.
Recipe for Vazhaipoo Kuzhambu
Vazhaipoo Kuzhambu Recipe
- Banana blossom vazhaipoo cleaned and chopped finely 1.5 c
- Onion 1/2 c chopped finely
- Tamarind a small gooseberry size soaked in warm water for 20 mins
- Sesame oil 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
- Green chili 2
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Water as required
- To roast and grind:
- Sesame oil 1 tbsp
- Shallots 10 to 12
- Dry red chilies 5 to 6
- Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- To grind to a smooth paste:
- Freshly grated coconut 1/4 c
- Water as required
- Place the banana blossom in a pan with water and turmeric
- Cook the blossoms till tender.
- In the meanwhile, make an extract from the soaked tamarind.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp sesame oil.
- Add shallots, coriander seeds, red chili, fennel seeds and cumin and fry till shallots begin to brown.
- Transfer to a blender and let cool.
- Add about 2 to 3 tbsp water to this and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat the same pan with 2 tbsp sesame oil.
- Pop the mustard seeds and add curry leaves and fenugreek seeds next.
- Now, add the chopped onions and green chilies and fry till onion turns pink.
- Add the cooked vazhaipoo and the ground paste.
- Next add tamarind extract and salt.
- Mix well. and simmer till raw smell of the tamarind goes away.
- When this is being cooked, place the freshly grated coconut and about 2 tbsp water in a blender.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Once the raw smell of the tamarind goes away, add the ground coconut paste and mix well.
- Simmer till oil begins to float around the edges.
- Your vazhaipoo kuzhambu is ready when you see the oil floating on the surface.
- Serve hot with rice.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Leave a Reply