How To Make Pachai Payaru Sundal?
PACHAI PAYARU SUNDAL- GREEN MOONG DAL SAUTEED WITH COCONUT IN A MILD TEMPERING. GF. VEGAN
Pachai Payaru Sundal or Green moong dal sundal is another easy sundal or usili that can be made as Neivedyam during Navratri Golu days. This has always been my favorite sundal since childhood. I love how the moong dal becomes almost buttery soft and merges so well with tempering and the sweetness of freshly grated coconut.
On the 2nd day of Navratri, Goddess Kowmari or Rajarajeshwari is worshipped. Puliodharai and Puttu are prepared as neivedyam. Each day of the Navratri celebrates one avatar of Goddess Durga and is dedicated to one planet in our solar system. In south India, we make one sundal like this Pacha Payaru sundal and one sweet along with a rice preparation as Neivedyam.
The reason why sundal is made is because, the navadhanyams or the 9 sacred grains are also celebrated during this time. That way, this moong dal s offered to the planet Mercury.
Shall we now see how to make Pachai Payaru Sundal step by step?
Soak the green moong dal for 4 to 6 hours in enough water. Once hydrated, drain the water completely, wash it again.
Pressure cook this along with salt and 4 to 5 c of water for 3 to 4 whistles until the dal becomes soft. Make sure not to over cook it.
Once done, drain the moong dal completely in a colander.
Pulse together ¼ inch piece of ginger, 1 to 2 green chilies and freshly grated coconut in a mixie. Do not add any water. I grind this because kids may find the sight of chilies unappealing.
Heat a pan with oil. Add asafoetida. Pop the mustard and add the urad dal. Once dal browns, add curry leaves.
Now, add the moong dal and mix well.
Now, add the ground coconut mixture to the moong dal and mix well.
Recipe For Pachai Payaru Sundal
Pachai Payaru Sundal | Navratri Recipes
- Pachai Payaru whole green moong dal ¾ c
- Freshly grated coconut ¼ c
- Green chili 1 to 2
- Ginger ¼" piece
- Curry leaves a few
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 2 tsp
- Asafoetida perungayam a small pinch
- Soak the dal in enough water for 4 to 6 hours.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Wash once. Add about 3-4 c of water and enough salt and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Let pressure release on its own.
- Drain the water from the dal completely.
- Pulse together ¼ inch piece of ginger, 1 to 2 green chilies and freshly grated coconut in a blender. Do not add any water while grinding.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add asafoetida. Pop the mustard and add the urad dal. Once dal browns, add curry leaves.
- Now, add the moong dal and mix well.
- Now, add the ground coconut mixture to the moong dal and mix well.
- Serve hot.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.