This five-ingredient turmeric basil fried rice is just what you need to pair with your veggie-loaded curries.
Why we love this turmeric basil fried rice-
- Fantastic way to use up leftover rice.
- A flavor packed vegan, gluten-free and soy-free recipe.
- Literally takes 5 mins to come together, assuming you have leftover cooked rice on hand.
When I said 5 ingredients, I m not counting salt. The star ingredient in this recipe is the rice. Using perfectly cooked rice is key to getting a fluffy fried rice. And this applies to any fried rice recipe you follow.
I have used leftover jasmine rice in this recipe. However, you can use any flavorful short grained rice to make this. Basmati rice also works equally well. The only thing that matters in getting this fried rice right is that you need to use leftover rice that is cold. A day old rice works brilliantly!
You can check how to cook Jasmine rice in Instant pot.
Other than the rice, it is only the aromatics that are added. I have this small Thai Basil plant growing in my tiny balcony garden. So whenever it is time for fried rice, I pluck some off my plant and use them. Thai Basil can be hard to come by, if you live in the west or in India. In this case, you can substitute it with sweet basil leaves.
Most Thai style fried rice recipes and even Chinese fried rice recipes call for soy sauce or such Umami flavored sauces. This recipe is free from all the sauces, folks. And is as simple as relishing that spoon of fried rice.
How to serve turmeric basil fried rice?
Since this rice has no veggies or protein added to it, this is a great accompaniment to serve alongside vegetable loaded curries. Try our vegan thai yellow curry or the cashew cauliflower curry and you will love it.
To give this fried rice more texture and some crunch, I recommend adding salted roasted peanuts or fried onions or fried cashews as a topping.
Heat a pan with sesame oil. Add the minced garlic and basil leaves. Cook till the garlic begins to brown. As soon as the garlic begins to brown, add the turmeric powder. Reduce flame to the lowest while you do this to avoid burning the turmeric.
Tip in the cooked rice, add salt and mix well. That is it. Our turmeric basil fried rice is ready to be served. Straightforward, simple but oh so yummy.
Explore more rice recipes
Follow me on Instagram or Facebook for regular cooking updates and short videos. Find us on Pinterest for delicious content. Did you use our Indian meal plans for the week? We value your thoughts and comments! Leave a comment and tell us how it worked for you. Email us your questions to [email protected] if you need any guidance in making this.
Indian Meal Plans- Weekly Menu Plan 1
Turmeric Basil Fried Rice
- Saute pan
- 1.25 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1.5 tablespoon Minced garlic
- 15 leaves fresh Thai basil
- 1.5 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2.5 c Cooked jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon Salt Skip this if you have added salt while cooking rice.
- 10 leaves fresh Thai basil
- 3 tablespoon Salted peanuts
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan with the sesame oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and basil leaves.
- Stir and fry till garlic begins to brown.
- Lower flame, add turmeric and give a mix.
- Now, add the cooked rice and salt.
- Mix well , making sure the rice is mixed well.
- Garnish with more Thai basil leaves.
- Top with roasted peanuts and serve hot with any curry of your choice.