HOW TO MAKE JEERA RICE?
Jeera rice is the easiest rice-based recipe that any newbie can make. It s a very beginner-friendly dish and scores high on several counts. It can be made as a huge batch and feeds a crowd easily. This makes this Jeera rice a party-friendly recipe.
This recipe calls for a very few ingredients and so you need not go foraging in your pantry for an assortment of spices and masalas. You can make this cumin-flavored rice in your Instapot, Mealthy Multipot, Open pan and Pressure cooker too. This recipe is that versatile and forgiving.
Most often, people tend to think of it as nothing but steamed rice tempered with cumin seeds. But no, it’s a little more than that. It involves striking the right balance between the spices and the rice. And not going for the overkill. My recipe is a time-tested recipe. I have tried several ways of making Jeera rice and I must say this version stands out brilliantly among all my other trials. It almost matches up to the ones served in restaurants and yet has a homey earthy flavor to it.
The proportion of water and rice is very important in getting fluffy nonsticky rice. Also, the soaking time changes the cooking time. Hence, it becomes very important to follow the exact timings mentioned here.
Only Basmati rice works well in this recipe if you are looking for a restaurant-style recipe. However, if you want a simple home-style recipe, then you can use short-grained rice varieties like Govindo Bhog or Jeerasar too.
More recipes featuring rice
- Heavy bottomed pan
- 1 c Basmati rice
- 2 c Water
- 2 tablespoon Ghee clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon Shah Jeera Caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 podsGreen cardamom pods
- 1 small Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Wash the basmati rice thoroughly under running water until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice in 2 c water for 20 mins.
- Once done, heat a wide and deep pan with ghee.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest.
- Add cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, shah jeera, and bay leaf, and wait till the spices begin to brown.
- Now, add the soaked rice along with the water and salt.
- Gently mix with a wooden ladle.
- Cook the rice till done.
- Gently fluff the rice with a fork.
- Alternatively, you can cook the rice in an electric rice cooker too.
This recipe was originally posted in August 2014. This has been updated with recipe cards and fresh pictures.