Almost every time i pick up a bunch of those fresh spinach, i make my mind up to make a quiche. But a quiche never materialises. Any guesses? Well this kootu beats it to my kitchen. This kootu is an everyday affair in my kitchen and i simply dont understand why i ve not shared the recipe with you all till today. If you have coconut handy, then this is the go to recipe for a simple yet relaxing lunch.
Recipe For Keerai Kootu
Keerai Kootu Recipe- Lentil Stew With Spinach
- Spinach a big bunch cleaned and chopped finely
- Onion 1 medium chopped finely
- Tomato 2 small chopped finely
- Moong dal or yellow lentils ¼ cup
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Hing a small pinch
- Oil 1.5 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad Dal 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Spice Paste
- Oil ½ tsp
- Freshly grated coconut 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Peppercorns ½ tsp
- Dry red chilies 3
- Coriander Seeds 1 tbsp
- Roast the moong dal in a few drops of ghee until aromatic.
- Pressure cook the moong dal until soft.
- In the meanwhile, steam the spinach until tender and set aside. I microwave my greens on high for about 5 mins.
- In the meanwhile, heat a pan with ½ tsp of oil and roast all the ingredients for the spice paste except the coconut until aromatic. Cool and blend to a smooth puree adding little water.
- Heat the same pan with the ghee and pop the mustard seeds.
- Add the urad dal next and wait till it becomes light brown. Follow with curry leaves and hing.
- Add the onions next and saute till pink. Toss in the tomatoes next and saute till they are tender and mushy.
- Now add the cooked spinach and cook for a min.
- Add the spice paste, cooked dal and salt and combine well.
- Simmer for about 3 to 4 mins.
- Serve hot with rice or chapathis.