We all could do with more than one good weeknight dinner idea, right? This easy mushroom rice pilaf is one more dish to add to your weeknight menu. Quick and easy, this vegan and soy-free mushroom rice not only makes for a great dinner but also a delicious and filling lunch treat. Instant Pot mushroom rice is the perfect back to school lunchbox treat.
Come join us on Pinterest to find delicious pins.
I have a mushroom lover in the house. The mini loves all sorts of mushrooms and this rice is her absolute favorite. Since this recipe calls for minimal spices and relies largely on herbs for flavor, it is a kids’ delight in more ways than one.
This recipe is a mushroom lovers’ delight. Packed with umami and loads of flavors from herbs, this simple dish uses minimal ingredients.
I have used fragrant Basmati rice to make this. Any long grain rice should work well. Chewy rice varieties like brown Basmati will also work but the cooking time will differ.
Using broth to cook rice dishes gives you the most flavorful outcome. Usually, I combine all vegetable scraps and make homemade vegetable broth. I used this homemade broth to make this dish. You can also use canned broth, vegetable stock or even bone broth if you are not looking for vegan options.
It is very common to cook mushrooms with butter. For a rich and creamy mushroom rice recipe, use butter. To keep this light, flavorful and vegan, you can use any neutral flavored vegetable oil. Avocado oil, canola oil or even blended vegetable oil works well.
Since this recipe does not use any soy or soy based sauces, herbs are used in plenty for a delicious tasting rice. Chives and spring onions along with celery not only add flavor but also give a fried rice like taste to this dish.
We love button mushrooms! Brown and white button mushrooms or even swiss brown mushrooms are perfect for this rice. Mushrooms tend to brown as they cook. When the rice cooks along with the mushrooms, it absorbs its color and flavor. The end result is a umami packed rice dish. Shiitake, Shimeji and oyster mushrooms are also great choices.
Quick version with leftover rice
During the months of October and November when the nip in the air just begins, we begin craving for something warm and comforting during dinner. This one pot mushroom rice becomes perfect for those kind of nights. But what if you are in a pinch? or what if you have a box of leftover rice from last night staring at you from the counter? Or you are just looking for some recipes with mushroom and rice.
Then you can make this recipe using leftover rice too. Heat a pan with oil. Add the garlic and fry till light golden. Immediately, tip in the onions and spring onion whites. Mix and cook over medium heat till onions are pink and soft
Now, add 250 g chopped mushrooms, chives, celery, crushed pepper, salt and mix well. Wait for the mushrooms to wilt fully. When wilted, add 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Mix well. Add 2 teaspoon rice vinegar. Tip in 2 cups leftover cooked rice and stir to combine.
Garnish with finely chopped celery and spring onion greens. Serve hot. This version is like the Asian inspired or chinese mushroom rice.
How to serve?
- Serve it with some warm soup and a light salad for a complete meal.
- Add some grilled chicken or roasted veggies and a dip like chimichurri by the side for a wholesome lunch meal.
- Make it cheesy– Transfer the rice to an oven safe bowl. Top this with ¾ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend or shredded cheddar. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 4 mins or until cheese is melted. Dig in! There you have it – a quick mushroom rice bake. You can even think of this like a shortcut mushroom rice casserole.
- Stuff this rice into sweet peppers, top with shredded cheese and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C until peppers are roasted. Takes roughly 6 to 7 mins.
- If you want an Italian mushroom rice, then replace the herbs with dried oregano and basil. You can also use mixed dried herbs. Since dried herbs are more potent than fresh ones, 1.5 teaspoon mixed dried Italian herbs will be perfect here.
Washing and soaking the rice
Place the basmati in a colander and wash under running water till water runs clear. Transfer this to a bowl and add 3 cups water. Let it soak for 15 mins. While the rice soaks, get the chopping done.
How to make mushroom rice in Instant Pot?
Insert the stainless steel inner pot into the Instant Pot. Turn on Saute mode on Normal for 8 mins. Add oil and when it is heated up, add grated garlic. Saute the garlic for 20 to 30 secs. Now, add finely chopped onions and spring onion whites.
Mix well and cook till onions turn pink and soft. If you are using low sodium broth, please add salt at this stage. Add chives and celery. Mix well.
Now, add the sliced mushrooms and pepper. Stir to combine and cook till mushrooms wilt.
Drain the soaked rice in a colander. Add soaked rice and 1.25 cups vegetable broth to the mushroom mixture. Stir well to combine. Add spring onion greens and mix well.
Instant Pot mushroom rice cooking time and mode
Press CANCEL. Ensure that the sealing ring is fitted properly into the Instant Pot lid. Close the IP and turn the valve to SEALING.
Now, turn on PRESSURE COOK MODE -HIGH PRESSURE and set the timer to 3 minutes. Allow the cooking cycle to complete. When done, allow Natural Pressure release for 6 mins. After pressure releases naturally for 6 mins, do a quick pressure release by turning the valve to VENTING.
When the pin drops, open the lid and fluff the rice gently. Garnish with finely chopped chives and spring onions. That is it. Our easy mushroom rice is ready to enjoyed hot.
Mushrooms and rice are simply great together. The mushroom biryani is a great mushroom rice recipe, Indian style.
- This is not a very spicy recipe. Since I make it for my little one most of the time, I go very light on the spice. You can add more freshly cracked black pepper or even white pepper for a spicy mushroom rice. Increase the spice level especially if you are going to add cheese.
- While I have used vegetable broth, you can also use chicken broth. You can also use vegetable stock. This is what gives all the flavors to this dish. So I will not recommend making this rice with water.
Explore More Lunchbox Recipes
Follow me on Instagram or Facebook for regular cooking updates and short videos. Find us on Pinterest for delicious content. Tried this Instant Pot Mushroom Rice? We value your thoughts and comments! Please rate this recipe and tell us how it worked for you. Email us your questions to [email protected] if you need any guidance in making this recipe.
Instant Pot Mushroom Rice
- Instant Pot
For soaking the rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 cups water
For the mushroom rice
- 1.5 tablespoon neutral flavored vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion whites
- 5 fresh chives chopped roughly
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped celery leaves
- 300 grams sliced mushrooms
- 1.5 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1.25 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup finely chopped spring onion greens
- 3 fresh chives roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
Washing and soaking the rice
- Place the basmati in a colander and wash under running water till water runs clear.
- Transfer this to a bowl and add 3 cups water.
- Let it soak for 15 mins.
- While the rice soaks, get the chopping done.
- Insert the stainless steel inner pot into the Instant Pot.
- Turn on Saute mode on Normal for 8 mins.
- Add oil and when it is heated up, add grated garlic.
- Saute the garlic for 20 to 30 secs.
- Now, add finely chopped onions and spring onion whites.
- Mix well and cook till onions turn pink and soft.
- If you are using low sodium broth, please add salt at this stage.
- Add chives and celery.
- Mix well.
- Now, add the sliced mushrooms and pepper.
- Stir to combine and cook till mushrooms wilt.
- Drain the soaked rice in a colander.
- Add soaked rice and 1.25 cups vegetable broth to the mushroom mixture.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add spring onion greens and mix well.
Instant Pot mushroom rice cooking time and mode
- Press CANCEL.
- Ensure that the sealing ring is fitted properly into the Instant Pot lid.
- Close the IP and turn the valve to SEALING.
- Now, turn on PRESSURE COOK MODE -HIGH PRESSURE and set the timer to 3 minutes.
- Allow the cooking cycle to complete.
- When done, allow Natural Pressure release for 6 mins.
- After pressure releases naturally for 6 mins, do a quick pressure release by turning the valve to VENTING.
- When the pin drops, open the lid and fluff the rice gently.
- Garnish with finely chopped chives and spring onions.