Purple Yam Masiyal Recipe
- Purple yam 200 g
- Tamarind extract from a lime size ball of tamarind ½ cup
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Green chilies 3to 4 finely chopped
- For Tempering:
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Hing a large pinch
- Oil 2 tbsp
- For Garnish:
- Cilantro chopped finely 2 tbsp
- Lemon Juice 3 tbsp
- First pressure cook the yam until soft and mushy. Takes about 4 whistles. Once done, mash the yam well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds. After they pop, add the urad dal, hing adn wait for the dal to brown. Add turmeric powder.
- Now, add the chilies and saute for a few secs. Add the yam next and saute well for 2 to 3 mins.
- Next, add the tamarind extract and salt and mix well with the yam. You can see that the yam is absorbing the tamarind extract. Let this simmer till you get a solid mass. Takes about 7 mins and has to be done on medium low flame.
- Now, take away from flame and let it cool.
- Garnish with cilantro, add the lemon juice and serve with rice and rasam. Tastes really delicious with rotis too.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.