Watermelon Agua Fresca is a refreshing summer drink with fresh watermelons. This Mexican style summer drink is made with just three ingredients and is perfect for those outdoor grill parties.
Agua fresca sounds very fancy right? Like I mentioned, this is a popular Summer drink in Mexico. They make it with different fruits but fresh water, lime and sugar are three must-haves here. My version is a no-refined-sugar version.
For as long as I can remember, watermelon has been our favorite fruit. We love this sweet chunky fruit and because we live in Singapore, we get it year round. Will you believe it if I told that I make this almost every month?
Why is it called Agua Fresca?
Agua means water and fresca; cool in Spanish. So, basically it translates to cool water. Aguas frescas or Agua fresca is something you find on the streets of Mexico and central America very commonly.
This drink has only three ingredients- fruit, water and a touch of sugar. Some people add lime or mint. There is no alcohol in Agua fresca. But, you can always spike this mexican watermelon agua fresca with some vodka or gin. Because, why not??
How to choose watermelons?
When you buy watermelons, look for oblong ones rather than perfectly round ones. Slightly light green ones taste sweeter when compared to dark green watermelons. Also, look for the yellow spot. When watermelons have been sitting on the ground for long enough, they develop a splotch. If this splotch is yellow, then the fruit is ripe.
A ripe watermelon also sounds hollow when you thump it. So go on, thump and pick a big fat watermelon home.
- You can skip adding sugar if your watermelon is sweet.
- Chill the watermelon beforehand so that you can enjoy the drink right away.
- Adding lime/lemon and mint is not the traditional way to make agua de sandio. We love these flavors which explains why I added both.
- I added honey to my version of Agua de Sandia. You can also add maple, agave or just skip the sweeteners.
- Swap the lemon juice for lime juice and vice versa for different flavors.
Follow me on Instagram or Facebook for regular cooking updates and short videos. Find us on Pinterest for delicious content. Tried our watermelon agua fresca? We value your thoughts and comments! Leave a comment and tell us how it worked for you. Email us your questions to email@example.com if you need any guidance in making this
Watermelon Agua Fresca Recipe
- 3 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp Honey/ sugar/ maple
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Prep the watermelon by removing the rind and cubing it.
- Place the cubed watermelon, honey, lime juice and water in a blender along with mint leaves.
- Blend till smooth.
- Serve over ice.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.