HOW TO MAKE VARUTHARACHA KUZHAMBU?
VARUTHARACHA KUZHAMBU- A TRADITIONAL KUZHAMBU MADE WITH FRESHLY GROUND SPICES
Varutharacha Kuzhambu simply means a kuzhambu made by roasting and grinding. A traditional south Indian sambar uses toor dal and the vatha kuzhambu does not use any coconut or dal or freshly ground spices. This varutharacha kuzhambu is somewhere in between.
I do not make this kuzhambu very often because it needs a lot of coconut. I m basically lazy when it comes to this buying, breaking, scraping and storing the coconut. So i steer clear of recipes that call for coconut. But i make an exception for varutharacha kuzhambu, especially when it s made with pumpkin.
Eggplants and drumsticks also taste good in this simple yet flavorful kuzhambu.
Shall we now check the video on how to make Varutharacha Kuzhambu?
Recipe For Varutharacha Kuzhambu
Varutharacha Kuzhambu Recipe
- Pumpkin 200g cubed.
- Tamarind one small gooseberry sized soaked in 1.5 c warm water and made into an extract.
- Mustard seeds a tsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Oil 2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp.
- Hing perungayam a pinch.
- To roast and grind-
- Urad dal 2tsp
- Channa dal 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chili 5-6
- Fresh grated coconut 1/2 c packed.
- Oil 1 tsp
- Heat a pan with a tsp of oil.
- Add the ingredients mentioned under the roast and grind one by one and fry till dals turn golden. Add coconut in the last, bring down flame to the lowest and fry till coconut becomes light brown. Let cool and grind to a smooth paste adding 1/2 c water.
- Set aside.
- Heat the same pan with 2tsp oil.
- Pop the mustard seeds, add urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add a pinch of hing too. Now add the pumpkin bits and saute for a min.
- Add tamarind extract and turmeric next along with salt.
- Simmer till raw smell of the tamarind goes away. Takes 4-5 mins.
- Once done, add ground paste mix well and allow to simmer till the kuzhambu thickens a bit.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.