How To Make Spring Onion Paratha?
Spring Onion Paratha- A flavorful twist to the regular plain parathas. Tastes best with yogurt and pickles.
Spring onion paratha is an easy flatbread that is made out of whole wheat flour dough into which spring onions are added. This spring onion paratha makes a great tiffin box treat and tastes delicious with any pickle or plain yogurt.
When I started cooking, i bought a whole new set of Tarla Dalal s books. Small in size, affordable prize but indispensable for an amateur cook like me. Whenever i visit a book store I can’t resist going to the aisle where they have all those glossy cookbooks stacked. They make me drool literally. And that s the story of how I picked up this book on parathas by Tarla Dalal.
And when i came home I realized i have many more recipes for breakfast and dinner and lunch. Yes, we love parathas. No, i m not from Punjab. My husband neither. But we love dunking our parathas in rich creamy yogurt and lick our fingers later. Paratha love. And when i combine spring onions with our parathas, it s a super hit. Thats what this post is about- green onion paratha.
Hara Pyaz Paratha
Spring onions are called as hara pyaz in Hindi. While onion kulchas, pyaaz kachoris are all very common, this easy Paratha is a great breakfast with spring onion scapes. This Paratha is a regular in my house during winters. It is because, Hara Pyaz is found in abundance during winter.
Spring onions release moisture. When this happens, the dough becomes wet and loose. So make the parathas as soon as the dough is kneaded. I will not recommend resting the dough for a while for this Paratha recipe.
Make sure to wash and pat dry the spring onions thoroughly before adding it to the dough. This will also help in balancing the moisture in the kneaded dough.
Variations to Spring Onion Paratha
You can make the same recipe by replacing the spring onion scapes with leeks, green garlic scapes or green onion scapes too.
Some More Paratha Recipes
Spring Onion Paratha Recipe
- Spring onions chopped finely 1/2 cup
- 1 medium size onion chopped finely
- Whole wheat flour 2 cups
- Ajwain or carom seeds 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Any vegetable oil I used canola 1 tsp
- Jeera powder 1 tsp
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Water for kneading
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, jeera powder, chilli powder, salt and the carom seeds. Give it a nice mix.
- Now add the onions and spring onions. Mix the flour well again. Now start kneading the dough by adding water little by little. Dont add too much water. Half way through the kneading , add the oil and knead well till you get a soft pliable ball of dough. Let the dough rest for half an hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal balls. Flatten a little and dust it with some flour and roll them into parathas.
- Cook on a tawa with a little oil smeared on either sides of the paratha until brown spots appear.
- Serve hot with raitha, pickle or tomato chutney.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.