HOW TO MAKE MUSHROOM ROGAN JOSH?
Mushroom Rogan Josh- A vegetarian take on the popular lamb based gravy, Rogan Josh
Update: This recipe was originally posted on 2nd September, 2014. It has now been updated with fresh Recipe cards and more information after testing a few more times.
What is Rogan Josh? Mushroom Rogan Josh
This recipe is a vegetarian version of the popular Rogan Josh curry that uses lamb.
The term Rogan means clarified butter or fat in persian and Josh means heat. So technically it translates to cooked in fat on high heat, according to Wikipedia.
Rogan Josh is a Kashmiri specialty dish that is usually made with tender lamb meat.
Mushroom Rogan Josh is the perfect vegetarian Rogan Josh because of the Umami flavors that mushrooms pack in.
What kind of Mushrooms can be used to make Rogan Josh?
Any chunky meaty variety mushroom will work well in this recipe. Your best bets for a fantastic Mushroom Rogan Josh are swiss brown mushrooms and white button mushrooms.
While I have used Oyster mushrooms and found that they also lend themselves well to this curry, mushrooms that are smaller, like Enoki did not give the same results.
True to its Kashmiri origins, this recipe uses subtle spices with a sweet hint like fennel, black cardamom and green cardamom for the spice blend.
You can use a coffee grinder to make your own Rogan Josh spice blend.
The base for the Rogan Josh comes in the form of yogurt. There are no tomatoes used in this Mushroom Rogan Josh. Instead, I preferred the slight tang in the yogurt to amp up beautiful flavor to this light curry.
Substitutes For Mushrooms
For people who are not fans of Mushrooms or those people that are allergic to them, soy chunks aka textured vegetable protein can be used to make this Rogan Josh gravy. Mock meat will work well in this recipe.
You can also make the same curry with tofu, another healthy and protein dense option. Tofu, that has been pressed well and cubed will work well too. I have tried the same recipe with Tofu with success.
Mushroom doesnt take a long while to cook up. The only time taking process in this recipe is the roasting and grinding of spices.
But for that, the recipe is pretty quick and perfect to have with a bowl of Cumin Rice or some buttery garlic naan.
Once you add the yogurt, please avoid simmering the gravy for long and on high flame. This will curdle your gravy.
Are you a Mushroom lover? Then we have more Mushroom recipes for you.
From our Kashmiri Recipe Collection
Follow me on Instagram or Facebook for regular cooking updates and short videos. Follow me on Pinterest for delicious content. Tried our Mushroom Rogan Josh recipe? Loved it? Then please rate this recipe and leave a comment. If you have any questions regarding this recipe, leave a comment and i ll respond at the earliest possible. If you tried this recipe and enjoyed it, click a picture and share it on instagram by tagging us @tomatoblues.
Mushroom Rogan Josh
- 2 c Button mushrooms
- ¾ c finely chopped onion
- 12 to 15 mint leaves
- ½ c fresh yogurt whisked
- ¼ c water
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 tbsp ghee clarified butter ( Use oil if you are calorie counting)
To roast and grind
- 1 pod Black cardamom pod
- 1 pod green cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 6 long Kashmiri Dry red chili
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds Aniseed/Sombu/ Saunf
- In a pan, dry roast all ingredients listed under To Dry Roast And Grind.
- Let it cool completely.Now, grind this mixture to a smooth powder.Set aside.
- Heat a pan with 2 tablespoon ghee.
- Add bay leaves and once they begin to brown, add the onions.
- Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Now, add mushrooms and fry till slightly wilted.
- At this stage, add the ground masala, chili powder, salt and garam masala.
- Mix well and cook on low flame for 3 mins
- In the meanwhile, whisk the yogurt thoroughly.
- Switch off the flame and take the mixture away from heat completely.This is because if you add the yogurt while the mixture is cooking, it tends to curdle.
- Whisk in the yogurt and mix well into the gravy.
- Add water and mint leaves and return the gravy back to the flame.
- Simmer on low flame for about 5 to 6 mins until the gravy is a little reduced.
- Once done, garnish with coriander leaves.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.