How To Make Mathangai Erissery?
Mathangai Erissery- A delicious Kerala dish with Pumpkin and Black Eyed Beans.
Mathangai Erissery is a popular Kerala dish that is a part of the Sadhya menu prepared on the festival of Onam. The Sadhya is a 7 course feast that is prepared on the auspicious occasion of Onam and includes many dishes like avial, pradhaman, parippu curry and this mathangai erissery. You can also try making this erissery with dishes like yam and raw plantains- chenai vazhai erissery.
Other Onam Sadhya recipes you may like- cabbage carrot thoran, avial, beetroot thoran.
This dish calls for minimal ingredients but the key is finding good tender coconut. Frozen fresh coconut works well in Erissery but using freshly scraped coconut is highly recommended. Find the video tutorial for making Mathangai Erissery below.
Mathangai Erissery Recipe
- Pumpkin ½ c
- Black eyed beans ½ c soaked for 2 hours
- Coconut oil 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves a handful
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- To grind to a paste
- Freshly grated coconut ½ c
- Green chili 2
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Shallots 2 optional
- Water as required.
- Combine pumpkin and a cup of water in a pan and cook till pumpkin becomes tender.
- In the meanwhile, pressure cook the black eyed peas with salt. Once done, drain water and set aside.
- Grind together the coconut, cumin, shallots and green chilies adding little water to a smooth paste.
- Add the cooked black eyed peas along with salt and turmeric once the pumpkin is fork tender.
- Let simmer for a min or two.
- Add the ground paste and mix well.
- Cook till mixture becomes thick.
- Once done, add curry leaves and coconut oil and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice and poppadoms.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Leave a Reply