WATERMELON LYCHEE GRANITA
Update: This post was originally posted on May 21, 2014 but has now been updated with fresh recipe cards on July 21, 2020.
WATERMELON LYCHEE GRANITA IS A REFRESHING ICED DESSERT THAT IS JUST HEAVEN FOR SUMMER
The first time I came across a granita was a restaurant which had a mocktail menu that was longer than the Nile. ( Well, not exactly, but you get my point ?) So, mindlessly and out of sheer curiosity, I ordered a kiwi granita.
Needless to say, I was taken aback when the smart waiter came with a big glass of shaved ice that was a gorgeous green. I don’t know what I was expecting but shaved iced didn’t figure anywhere close to my perception of the so called granita. I almost had a foot in my mouth moment when I discovered that the mound of shaved ice costed 180 bucks.
Now see, this is not acceptable. First, you give me shaved ice which I can’t enjoy unless I ignore my chattering teeth. Then you charge me 180 bucks!!!! That’s three burgers at Mc Ds. For your info. I wanted to scream all this at the waiter. But I simply smiled, paid the check, had a face palm moment and walked out gracefully. Rest assured, I never revisited granita until recently.
Special equipment for making a Granita:
Sweeteners used in this recipe:
Freezing time given here is how long it took for me. It may take longer or shorter,depending on the weather, the fridge you use and the quantity you use for making this Granita.
Check out other recipes featuring watermelon and lychee here:
Recipe For Watermelon Lychee Granita
Watermelon Lychee Granita
- 1.5 c Water melon
- 8 fruits Lychee
- ½ c Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Grated ginger
- Pit the Lychee and discard the seed.
- In a blender, combine mint leaves, ginger and sugar and pulse once to release the flavors.
- Now, add ½ of the watermelon, lemon juice and lychee and blend to a smooth puree.Transfer to a bowl.
- Blend the remaining watermelon to a smooth puree and combine this with previous mixture.Mix well.
- Pour this mixture into a freezer safe container which is quite sturdy.Freeze till set. This takes anywhere between 2 hours to 4 hours depending upon your refrigerator.
- Once frozen, use a fork and start raking the mixture from the sides first.Proceed to the center eventually.This is time consuming and a little tiresome but its worth all the effort.
- Once you have raked up the entire mass, shove it back into the freezer.After 2 hours, remove and repeat the raking process.
- Freeze till ready to serve.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Priyanka Nair says
Wow Lovely summer granite and perfect shots! Lychees are the best thing about this season.. where ever you look you can find lychees.. but after a few days finding this fruit is next to impossible.. i usually buy KDD harvest’s lychee juice when the fruit is not available.. it is the best option for people who love lychees like me!thanks for sharing this amazing recipe! Will try this for sure!
cubic zirconia color says
Thanks for sharing this wonderful post, It is awesome.
Priya Suresh says
Wowing here, granita looks absolutely mindblowing.
Sona S says
Looks very appealing and refreshing, perfect summer recipe..
Granita with litchy sounds really very interesting…..
Radhika Subramanian says
Costs a bomb in restos but homemade looks absolutely fab though litchi is not my fav, i would always welcome watermelon in granita form.
Sharmila Kingsly says
Watermelon and lychee sounds really great..what a burst of flavours… interesting and Yummy share…
Veena Theagarajan says
Looks so refreshing.. nice summer recipe