How To Make Verkadalai Sadam Or Peanut Rice?
VERKADALAI SADAM OR PEANUT RICE- A QUICK RICE MADE WITH ROASTED PEANUTS AND SESAME.
Verkadalai sadam is a dish made with rice and a spice powder that uses roasted peanuts and sesame. It s traditional during Navratri to make one sundal and one rice dish as neivedyam for the Goddess. This verkadalai sadam is an easy rice that you can make for the golu.
The first day of Navratri is dedicated to Goddess Durga in the form of Maa Shailputri. Karamani sundal (black eyed beans sundal) and ven pongal are ideal Neivedyams for this day.
Shall we now see how to make the verkadalai sadam step by step?
Cook rice in such a way that grains are separate. I used a cup of sona masuri rice and 2 cups of water and pressure cooked for 3 whistles. You may also cook the rice in an electric rice cooker. Once done, let pressure release on its own. Fluff rice with a fork and spread it out on a plate. Add a teaspoon of oil to the rice and gently mix with a fork. Let cool.
Dry roast the peanuts in a pan. I used my microwave to do this. Also, dry roast sesame seeds, dry red chilies and desiccated coconut on low flame till sesame seeds begin to pop and the coconut turns a light brown. Let cool.
Transfer to a blender along with salt. Grind to a coarse powder. Set aside.
Heat a pan with oil or ghee. Add mustard seeds and once they pop, add urad dal and curry leaves. When urad dal becomes golden, add the rice and the powder. Mix well. Serve hot.
Recipe For Verkadalai Sadam ( Peanut Rice)
Verkadalai Sadam Recipe| Quick Peanut Rice Recipe| Navratri Recipes
- Rice 2 c cooked refer notes or ¾ c sona masuri rice.
- Peanuts ¼ c
- Sesame seeds 1 tablespoon
- Desiccated coconut 1 tablespoon
- Dry red chilies 4 to 5
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves a few
- Oil or ghee 1 tablespoon
- If you dont have cooked rice on hand, Pressure cook rice with 1.5 c of water for 3 whistles.
- Let pressure release on its own.
- Once done , fluff with a fork to separate the grains.
- Now spread the rice on a plate, add a teaspoon of oil, mix gently with a fork and let cool.
- Heat a pan.
- Dry roast the peanuts, sesame seeds, coconut and dry red chilies one by one. I used the microwave for this.
- Let cool.
- Add salt and grind to a coarse powder in a blender.
- Heat the same pan with oil or ghee.
- Pop the mustard seeds and add urad dal and curry leaves.
- When dal begins to brown, add rice and the ground powder.
- Mix well and serve.
Make sure that your rice is not mushy.
The grains must be separate.
If you are not confident about cooking this in a pressure cooker, use an electric rice cooker.