HOW TO MAKE KONDAKADALAI PIRATTAL?
Kondakadalai Pirattal- A spicy garbanzo bean stir fry made with a Chettinad style spice mix.
I usually spend a huge chunk of my time reading through my cookbooks. I dont make everything in a cook book. But there are some simple recipe booklets on my bookshelf that call out to me every time i pass through. One such book is this small treasure trove of recipes titled “Dhinapadi Samayal” by Menu Rani Chellam. Almost all her recipes are easy to make and call for simple ingredients that one almost always has at home. This pirattal is adapted from her book and i must say, it made a delicious lunch along with cucumber gojju and hot rice.
I had some garbanzo left after i tossed the cucumber chickpea salad. I dint want to make anything usual with it and so kept thinking of something. I almost made falafels when i spotted this pirattal recipe in the book. The original recipe calls for plantains too but as i couldnt find them, i just added garbanzo. Makes a fabulously spicy side.
Recipe For Kondakadalai Pirattal
- Garbanzo beans 1 c soaked overnight
- Shallots 10 chopped finely
- Garlic cloves 3 to 4 minced
- Ginger 1 tsp grated
- Tomato puree 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Salt to taste
To Roast And Grind
- Coriander seeds 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick ½"
- Cardamom 1s
- Fennel seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Dry red chilies 2
- Coconut 2 tbsp
- Pressure cook garbanzo until tender. Takes about 3 to 4 whistles. Drain water and set aside.
- In a pan, dry roast all ingredients to roast and grind except the coconut.
- Let cool.
- Once cool, combine the roasted ingredients with the coconut and grind to a coarse powder without adding any water. Set aside.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil.
- Pop the mustard and add urad dal, curry leaves next and saute till dal turns a light brown.
- Now add the chopped shallots and garlic and saute till golden.
- Add turmeric now.
- Follow with the tomato puree next.
- Simmer the mixture till the raw smell of the tomato leaves and oil begins to separate.
- At this stage, add the cooked beans and mix well.
- Add salt and the ground powder and combine.
- Cook on a low medium flame for further 3 to 4 mins.
Serve hot with rice and any kuzhambu of your choice.