How To Make Chettinad Vazhakai Kola Urundai, Vegan Meat Balls With Raw Plantains?
Chettinad Vazhakai Kola Urundai is a vegan meat ball kind of recipe that uses raw plantains in place of meat. Kola urundai is nothing but the indian version of meat balls and is usually cooked with lamb meat or chicken. I have attempted here to make a vegan version of the same by using raw plantains in this Chettinad vazhakai kola urundai recipe.
This recipe for Chettinad vazhakai kola urundai has its body from the raw plantains, a crunch from bits of coconut and flavors of cumin, fennel and the ubiquitous garam masala. Oh, i forgot the garlic. These tiny vegan meat balls are a burst of flavor and crunch and make a great party starter as well.
Vazhakai Kola Urundai Recipe
- Raw plantains 2 med
- Onion 1 medium chopped finely
- Garlic 5 cloves minced
- Grated ginger 1 tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Fennel powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- Green chili 1 small minced
- Coconut bits 1 tbsp
- Pottukadalai or roasted gram flour 1 tbsp see notes
- Coriander leaves 2 tablespoon chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Peel the plantains and pressure cook them for 2 to 3 whistles. The plantains must be really tender and you should be able to mash them with a fork.
- Once done, drain the water from the plantains completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, place all the ingredients except the oil and give a mix using a whisk.
- To this add the cooked plantains and mash them well making sure you incorporate the other ingredients along with the plantains as you mash.
- Divide the mixture into 10 parts and shape each into a ball
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Place the shaped plantain balls and fry them on medium flame until golden.
- I did this in two batches.
- Drain on a kitchen towel.
- Serve hot with any dip of your choice.
Make sure you choose really raw plantains for this recipe. Bajji vazhakai works best
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.