HOW TO MAKE POONDU THOKKU?
POONDU THOKKU- A SPICY RELISH MADE WITH GARLIC AND SESAME OIL.
Poondu thokku is a spicy relish made with freshly peeled garlic cloves and sesame oil. This poondu thokku is a fantastic way to include garlic in your diet and is very helpful for those who have weight gain, cholestrol and flatulence.
I get freshly peeled garlic here. Every time, i go to the wet market, i see these peeled garlic in a vacuum package. And then i will wonder what to do with so much garlic as we aren’t big consumers of garlic.
Then a while back, the thought of making poondu thokku crossed my head. So here it is, a spicy, tangy and delicious thokku that goes well with just about anything from curd rice to dosa.
If you are looking for more thokku recipes, then do check out tomato thokku and onion thokku. Also, are you following me on instagram yet?
Here s a step by step pictorial on how to make poondu thokku:
First, peel the garlic after cleaning. Trim the edges. Set aside ⅓ of the garlic cloves. Now grind the remaining with dry red chilies to a coarse paste.
Once done, heat a pan with sesame oil. Once it s hot, pop the mustard seeds, add fenugreek seeds and hing. Now, add curry leaves and the whole garlic cloves.
Fry till the garlic begins to brown, add curry leaves and then add the ground garlic paste. Lower the heat. Mix well. You can see that the mixture begins to absorb the oil. Cook this for 10 -15 mins or till the mixture turns a light golden brown. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt and mix well.
Now, add tamarind extract. Mix well. Let it simmer till raw smell of the tamarind goes away. Continue to cook til mixture becomes semi solid. Add jaggery. Mix well.
Continue to cook the mixture till oil begins to float on the surface.
Store in the fridge in a clean air tight container, preferably glass.
RECIPE FOR POONDU THOKKU
Poondu Thokku Recipe| Garlic Thokku Recipe
- Garlic cloves 200 g
- Tamarind 20 g soaked in ¾ c warm water.
- Red chili powder ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Hing a large pinch
- Dry red chilies 6 to 8
- Jaggery 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds 1.5 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds Methi 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves a few
- Sesame oil 100 ml
- Clean and the peel the garlic. Set aside ⅓ of it. G
- Grind the remaining with dry red chili to a coarse paste.
- Once done, heat a pan with sesame oil.
- Once it s hot, add hing and pop the mustard seeds and add the fenugreek seeds.
- Now add the whole garlic cloves.
- Fry till the garlic begins to brown and then add add curry leaves and the ground garlic paste.
- Lower the heat. Mix well. You can see that the mixture begins to absorb the oil.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook this for 10 -15 mins or till the mixture turns a light golden brown.
- Now, add tamarind extract. Mix well.
- Let it simmer till raw smell of the tamarind goes away.
- Once done, add jaggery, mix well.
- Continue to cook the mixture till oil begins to float on the surface.
- Once done, let cool.
- Store in a clean air tight glass jar in the fridge.