HOW TO MAKE ORIENTAL STYLE CABBAGE AND PEA SPROUT SALAD?
ORIENTAL STYLE CABBAGE AND PEA SPROUT SALAD- CRUNCHY SALAD WITH CABBAGE AND PEA SPROUTS
Oriental style cabbage and pea sprouts salad is something that i made on a whim and was loved by everyone including my H s friends. When i first moved to Singapore, some things were mind boggling. The varieties of mushrooms, fruits and other veggies opened up new avenues. But when i dug deeper, i learned of the local ways of eating.
People in Singapore eat a lot of green leafy vegetables. They have an array of keerai stuff and my personal favorite is their kailan which tastes very similar to spinach. But these pea sprouts take the cake any day for me. Called dow miao in the local language, they are such a fun ingredient to work with. I have made hummus, pesto and use them very often in my salads. They are mildly sweet, crunchy and balance flavors in any salad very well.
This oriental style cabbage and pea sprout salad uses a very simple dressing. It has no complex ingredients and relies on Umami to bring out the best in this salad. Also, this dressing doubles up as a light dip for our spring rolls at times 😆 .
Recipe For Oriental Style Cabbage And Pea Sprout Salad
Oriental Style Cabbage And Pea Sprout Salad
- Purple cabbage 1 c shredded
- Pea sprouts ½ c
- Celery sticks 1 small sliced thinly
- Roasted peanuts 2 tablespoon
- For the dresssing:
- Sesame oil 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce 1 tablespoon
- Grated ginger 1 teaspoon
- Garlic 1 clove grated
- Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
- Crushed white pepper 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Brown sugar 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves 1 tablespoon chopped finely
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly until well incorporated.
- Now, add cabbage, celery and pea sprouts.
- Toss well making sure the dressing and the veggies are mixed well.
- Add roasted peanuts just before serving.