HOW TO MAKE KUMBAKONAM KADAPPA ?
KUMBAKONAM KADAPPA- A DELICIOUS POTATO BASED STEW THAT GOES WELL WITH IDLI AND DOSA.
Kumbakonam Kadappa came into my life at a time when i detested eating Idli and Dosa. I was in that phase when i thought eating anything native is uncool. Yes. I was that kid for a couple of years. But well, life and Kadappa happened, i rediscovered food and the rest is history.
So, Kumbakonam Kadappa was introduced to me by my maternal aunt , Nimmi Chikki. My aunt s marital home s core was food. They discussed, lived and breathed on cooking whenever they all met. And they all religiously met every school holiday season and cooked tirelessly for a minimum of ten mouths, round the clock.
When they made idli or dosa for breakfast, Kumbakonam kadappa appeared at the table at least once a week. I happened to taste this once when i was at my aunt’s place for dinner. I was hooked. My mother never makes kadappa. But my mom is my mom and i m me.
Which is why we have the recipe for Kumbakonam Kadappa here today with a small video that i shared on Instagram months ago.
Shall we now check how to make Kumbakonam Kadappa in the video?
Recipe For Kumbakonam Kadappa
Kumbakonam Kadappa Recipe- Sidedish for Idli Dosa
- Moong Dal 3 tbsp
- 2 largish potatoes
- Coconut oil or any veg oil 1.5 tbsp
- Onion 1 large chopped finely
- Ginger 1 tsp chopped finely
- Curry leaves a few
- Bay leaf 1
- Cloves 1
- Cinnamon ½" piece
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- To grind together -
- Fresh grated coconut 2 tbsp
- Pottu kadalai roasted gram dal 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves 2
- Green chili 3
- Fennel seeds 1 tsp
- Water ¼ cup.
- Pressure cook peeled potatoes and moong dal in ¾ c water along with a pinch of turmeric separately for 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure release on its own.
- Once done, mash the potato and dal well. Set aside.
- Grind together coconut, pottu kadalai, garlic, green chili and fennel to a smooth paste adding ¼ c water.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add bay leaf, clove, cinnamon and pop the mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal next.
- Now add ginger.
- Quickly add onions and curry leaves and cook till onions are just pink and soft. DO NOT BROWN THE ONIONS AT ANY COST.
- Now, add the cooked dal along with the water. Give it a good mix.
- Add mashed potatoes next along with salt and mix well.
- Add ½ c of water. Simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Add the ground paste at this stage and mix well.
- Simmer on medium flame for about 4-5 mins.
- Once done garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges by the side.