How To Make Gingerbread, The Old Fashioned Gingerbread Way?
GINGERBREAD- A DELICIOUS CAKE SPICED WITH GINGER, PEPPER AND SUCH. PERFECT FOR WINTER.
Gingerbread is probably the best way to enjoy the flavor of ginger. Sometimes, it is amazing how an ingredient that features largely in savory dishes in Indian cuisine can bring out such fine desserts like this gingerbread. I love ginger for its pungent flavor that can perk up your appetite in a moment s notice. And my favorite thing to do with ginger was always Adrak Ki Chai.
Until i discovered Molasses. Yes. Molasses is my new found love. Well, its not really new found. I was over the moon when i discovered bottles of Unsulphured molasses upon my first visit to Mustafa in Singapore. I must mention here that Unsulphured molasses and black strap molasses are two different things and you cannot swap one for the other. I picked up a bottle of this dark brown syrupy goodness only because i wanted to bake gingerbread and gingersnaps.
But my first bottle of molasses was devoured simply by drizzling it over my daily dose of oatmeal. I made the shift to molasses from regular white sugar ever since i discovered that molasses is earthier and more my kind of sweet with a subtle hint of bitterness. That said, i picked up my second bottle recently again hoping that i would get around to bake some gingerbread and bake i did!
I followed the recipe from King Arthur Flour website and i followed the recipe to the T. I made a few changes like adding freshly cracked black pepper for extra spice and using coconut sugar instead of brown sugar. And i must admit, i am a gingerbread slave for life.
Shall we now go on to see how to make gingerbread step by step?
Step By Step Instructions For Making Gingerbread
Line a 9″ square baking pan. Preheat oven to 180 C.
Combine flour, salt, baking powder , baking soda, coconut sugar, freshly grated ginger and all the spice powders in a big mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly using a whisk.
Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add molasses to this and mix well.
Now add this molasses butter mixture to the flour mixture and whisk well. You will have a thick dough like mass. To this add water and mix well. Yes. This recipe calls for water. And no, it wont fail. After adding the water, use a whisk and mix thoroughly. Now, your batter will become slightly looser and resemble something like thick cake batter. Do not worry about over mixing.
In the same bowl that you mixed butter and molasses, add the yogurt and milk and mix well. Make sure your yogurt is not lumpy. Now, break an egg into this and whisk thoroughly until you see no streaks of yellow. Add this egg mixture to the batter and mix well. Use a whisk for this.
Once done , add chopped candied ginger and apricot to the batter and mix well. Pour the batter into the lined tin and bake for 35 mins or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Let cool on a cooling rack for 20 mins before you slice.
Gingerbread Recipe- Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
- All purpose flour 2 cups
- Baking soda 1 teaspoon
- Coconut sugar ¼ cup
- Ground ginger 1 tablespoon
- Freshly cracked black pepper 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder ½ teaspoon
- Freshly grated ginger 1 tablespoon
- Molasses ¾ cup
- Butter ½ cup melted
- Water ¼ cup
- Milk ¼ cup see notes
- Yogurt ¾ cup whisked
- Large egg 1
- Dried apricots chopped roughly 3 tablespoon
- Candied ginger chopped roughly 3 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Line a 9" pan
- Combine flour, baking soda, sugar and all spice powders along with the freshly grated ginger, sugar and salt. Mix well using a whisk.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter.
- Add molasses to the butter and mix well.
- Add this mixture to the dry mixture. Mix well using a whisk.
- Add water to this next and mix again.
- Now, in the same bowl that you mixed butter and molasses, combine the yogurt and milk and mix well.
- Crack an egg into this and whisk thoroughly
- Add this egg mixture to the batter and mix well using a whisk.
- Add chopped apricot bits and candied ginger bits to the batter and mix well
- Pour batter into the lined tin and bake for 35 mins or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack for 20 mins before slicing.
- Your gingerbread is ready. Warm slighlty before serving.
2. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature for best results.
3. The candied ginger and apricots are optional but highly recommended.