How To Make Chili Potato, an Indo-Chinese starter recipe with Potatoes?
Chili Potato With Honey And Sesame is a Indo-Chinese starter recipe that uses an assortment of sauces, honey and sesame for cooking potatoes. I first tasted this Chili Potato with honey and sesame in a dhaba near my college in Bangalore. For the uninitiated, a dhaba is an eatery that is located on the outskirts of any Indian city. A punjabi dhaba in particular serves iconic aloo parathas dripping in butter and probably the world’s best rajma masala. But this chili potato with honey and sesame has nothing to do with punjabi dhabas or the parathas. It is simply a dish that we, a group of four girls, always ordered and relished whenever we went to this dhaba near our college.
The original recipe doesn’t have either honey or sesame. What it did have was lots of fried onions which made up for most of the plate of chili potato that we ordered. I tried to improvise on that greasy onion laden chili potato and came up with this lip smacking recipe for chili potato with honey and sesame. While it may seem weird to add honey to potatoes, i believe the best part about this recipe is the honey itself. The sesame seeds add a nice crunch and the sauces that are added gives a burst of flavors to this Chili Potato with honey and sesame recipe.
Recipe For Chili Potato With Honey And Sesame
Chili Potato With Honey And Sesame
- Potatoes 2 chopped into thin fingers
- Onion 1 medium sliced thinly
- Garlic cloves 3 minced
- Ginger 1 tbsp grated
- Dark soy sauce 1.5 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup 1.5 tbsp
- Vinegar 1 tsp
- Green chili sauce 2 tbsp
- Honey 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds 1 tbsp
- Salt a pinch
- Oil for deep frying
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Chop the potatoes into thin fingers like you would for french fries.
- Dunk these fingers into ice cold water for about 15 mins. This is to remove the starch from the potatoes and keep them crunchy when fried. Please don't skip this step. If you do, you ll land up with sticky potato.
- After 15 mins, drain the potatoes and let them dry for two mins on kitchen towels.
- In the meanwhile, heat up a pan with oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot, deep fry the potatoes till golden and drain on a paper towel. I did this in two batches.
- After you have fried up the potatoes, heat another pan with 1 tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger and onions and fry till onions turn a very light golden.
- To this add all the sauces, vinegar, salt and honey and mix well.
- Keep a tab on the salt as the sauces already have salt in them.
- Now add the fried potatoes and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with fried rice or pulao.