Kathirikai Podi Curry
Kathirikai Podi Curry- South Indian style Eggplants made with freshly ground spice powder.
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder a pinch
- 2 tablespoon Oil 2 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves a sprig
- ½ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 12 medium tender purple eggplants chopped into wedges
- To Roast And Grind
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal
- 2 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 4 Dry red chilies
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper corns
- ¼ teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 1 marble size Tamarind a small marble size
- ¾ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ¾ teaspoon Oil ½ teaspoon
Making the spice powder
Heat ½ teaspoon oil and add chana dal, urad dal, tamarind, coriander seeds and dry red chilies Turn flame to medium.
When they begin to brown a little, add the remaining ingredients and roast till aromatic making sure the flame is medium low all the time.
Once done, let cool completely.
Add salt and grind to a powder. This should slightly coarse. Set aside.
Making Kathirikai Podi curry
Heat a pan with 2 tablespoon oil. Pop the mustard seeds.
Add curry leaves.
Now add turmeric and eggplant wedges and salt , give a good toss, making sure the oil coats the eggplants well.
Cook the mixture covered on medium flame until the eggplants are fork tender but still hold shape. This takes roughly 8 to 10 mins.
When done, add the ground spice mix and combine gently.
Cook on medium flame for 2 mins.
Switch off flame and serve hot.
Pin this recipe and save for later