Mullangi Thokku- Radish Masala
Mullangi Thokku is an easy vegan and gluten free South Indian style Radish curry.
- 1.5 tablespoon Sesame oil cold pressed
- ½ c Peeled and sliced shallots
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 4 cloves Garlic chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ c Finely chopped tomato
- 1.5 teaspoon Tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 200 g Radish peeled and sliced 1.25 c approximately after slicing
- 1 c Water
Making the gravy
Now add the chopped shallots and garlic. Fry till shallots turn pink and translucent.
At this stage, add the spice powders. Mix well. Cook on low flame for 30 secs.
Tip in the chopped tomatoes next and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
Now add tamarind paste and salt. Mix well.
This is the gravy for our Radish masala.
Cooking the radish
Now that our gravy is ready, our next step is cooking the radish along with the gravy to infuse flavors.
Add the sliced radish to the pan and mix well. Make sure the masala coats the radish well.
Once this is done, add 1 c water and salt.
Simmer this for 10 mins or until 90% of the water is absorbed and the radishes are fork-tender.
Our Mullangi Thokku is now ready to be served.
Pin this recipe and save for later